Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting Conversation with I am in process of finishing my rebuild with my 06 48re and before i was going to place and torque down my valve body I noticed that I forgot to Air check or apply air to each passage way for apply levers and clutch pack pistons if that makes sense. The ATSG Manual shows where to check but doesn’t say if some air should bleed out or bleed off at all . All Sounds and feels well except for the Rear (Forward) Clutch Apply. I can feel a slightest thump compared to the Front (Direct) Clutch apply which is greater , but it bleeds air and bleeds off “Rear (Forward ) Clutch. Any input will be greatly appreciated as I can’t find any information on this here nor online. I will remove and inspect that clutch pack and piston again if it seems not normal just need Opinions and more experience with it , mind you I probably went over this 10 times when installing everything back up to this point but like I did with my Allison and any transmission. You only get one chance to install right.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
You'll definitely get some air leakage. Air will leak out of places that fluid will not. Plus, until you get the converter on and the transmission bolted in place, the front of the input shaft is unsupported, which will allow it to wobble and you'll get some leakage in the forward circuit. As long as you put all of the correct sealing rings on the input shaft and stator support, it's pretty hard to screw that part up. As far as them sounding different, the forward clutch is a Belleville-style clutch with .025" clearance, and the direct is a direct apply style clutch with .120" clearance. They will definitely sound different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Dynamic I appreciate it your input .I installed all new sealing rings in with the overhaul kit I have. My Forward clutch has the thicker Goerend Belleville spring and thinner snap ring with my clutch clearance at .032. Which definitely makes sense as you explained with different clutch clearances. The manual never gave me a way to check the Foward clutch pack with air when it’s out off the transmission case. It’s probably a lot more work than installing it in the transmission and checking there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts