Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

48 re

1265 5
I plan on running a smarty,intake, and exhuast in my truck eventually but id like to upgrade the tranny and get some gauges first. I was thinking of putting a t/c, billet input shaft and a shift kit. The truck already has 82000 mies on it and i was wondering if i should go ahead and do a heavy duty overhaul while i have it out. Anything im missing or sugesstions on what i should do? Thanks
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
The real question is how much power are you looking to put into it.
Everyone can type out a bunch of stuff that will make you :shock:
billet shafts, TC, VB, Gm sift gov conversion, bands, anchors for the bands, hd clutches and steels, deeper trans pan. I think i for got a few could someone else chime in here and add a few more.
I have a stock 48re those are my options when its time to build my trans...
Hope this helps Tommy

· Premium Member
15,655 Posts
I plan on running a smarty,intake, and exhuast in my truck eventually but id like to upgrade the tranny and get some gauges first. I was thinking of putting a t/c, billet input shaft and a shift kit. The truck already has 82000 mies on it and i was wondering if i should go ahead and do a heavy duty overhaul while i have it out. Anything im missing or sugesstions on what i should do? Thanks
The only warning flag on yours are the tires. Too much bigger tires is hard on the direct and forward clutch packs on a stock trans. You have to pull them anyway to do the input so rebuild them. Its a good bet the rest of the trans is good. The only other thing you need to take into account is the rear servo. They tend to wear and jam under higher pressures and really need a replacement to insure all the problem areas are addressed. Once you get there, freshening the whole trans is not that much more if you can swing it.

anyone got any info i'm wondering about doing the same kinds of things any help out there:confused013:
You on the other hand, need a complete rebuild. :hehe:

JK :), same thing applies. The extra power is hard on the front clutches and you probably need to rebuild them. Same with the reverse servo and freshening the trans. If you can swing it its a good thing.

Unless there are some major problems left unfixed or the truck has just been thrashed, most of the time everything back of the fornt clutch packs is in great shape. If the fluid changes have been done at 30-40k that negates a lot of the issues.

Mine came apart at 104k after a lot of towing at 10-15k, slightly larger tires, and 50-150 extra HP. The only real issue was the smoked direct clutche pack. The rest of the trans, even the fornt band, was pristine and showing no signs of wear.

· Registered
1,024 Posts
A valve body in my opinion might be better just because it increases the pressures in the VB which provides firmer shifts for your clutches which will not allot them to slip.

They are a little more but with a Torque converter and valvebody you would be good for 550rwhp before you had to replace the input shaft. I have a complete built 48RE and I got all my stuff from Goerend Transmission through Browns Diesel..... I am making almost 800hp to the wheel and I drive it daily (not a 800hp but yeah).

I would do the clutches anyways just because they are not very expensive. And yes bigger tires is more of a load so yeah, just do it and be done with it. And the clutches are not entirely to much anyways. But I think a valve body would be better for you than a shift kit just for the reason it won't allow your clutches to slip by adding more pressure to them....

If you do tow a lot and at a pretty decent weight. There is nothing wrong with doing the input simply because the material is more stout being that it's billet so they can take more abuse. And if you're towing and that input decides to break. It's not gonna snap it's gonna shred and take everything else in your transmission with it..... But really.....if you're just doing the chip and exhaust. You're not gonna be close to 550 hp simply because if your running the smarty on 170hp at max, then you deserve what happens..... You know what I mean?

If you have any question send me a tell I will gladly help you out. But give me some time I have to wait for my new labtop to come in. Since my other decided to break................

Reactions: gbhtrd06

· Premium Member
15,655 Posts
A valve body in my opinion might be better just because it increases the pressures in the VB which provides firmer shifts for your clutches which will not allot them to slip.
A shift kit does the same thing. Most custom VB's are nothing but a stock VB with a shift kit and maybe a few mods the builder likes.

The problem with buying a mass produced item is it may not have had all the care given that is needed and may not be the correct one for the transmission. Even the best builders have returns.

A bigger exhaust is a waste of $$ at those power levels. Replace the muffler with a free flowing unit and its good till one goes over 700 HP. Take the cost of a 5" system and put it towards more trans mods and the return is much greater.

Reactions: gbhtrd06
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.