Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, as a long time forum member, I try to refrain from asking stupid questions. So here we go...

My question is in regards to dropping my 47rh in favor of either a g56 or nv5600.

95, 4x4, 241dhd t-case.

Reason being is that the 47rh is almost as long or longer than the above two transmissions.

But I can not for the life of me and all my internet searching find an exact measurement on how long all three are

Last I knew, the 5600 was roughly 32" from bellhousing to t-case flange. But I need confirmation.

G56 would be lovely if I could find one...

I'm just trying to be lazy and not order new drivelines or jack around with cutting stuff up. And I know they are very close, but maybe not close enough...

Simply want to drop the perfectly functioning RH for a 6spd manual. Far as I know only mods I would need to the truck are a hole in the floor, figure out a t-case shifter setup (probably just to the 98+style) and figure out the simple wiring. Change input spline on t-case.

That's all I want to do is keep it simple. Any info would help if anyone has exact measurements of what I'm after (overall length of each unit listed above).

If I cant find what I'm looking for, I'll probably source stuff for a nv4500 swap since those are more available. Although, if I ever strike it rich, maybe a built 47rh would be better for a "fun truck". But for now let's assume the truck is staying 100% stock.

Someone talk me out of this.

·
Registered
17,505 Posts
Not me, I think the automatic in stock form is a POS. My G56 conversion cost me in the neighborhood of $3000 and I already had a clutch pedal and hydraulic linkage from the NV4500. I don't know it for a fact but I believe that any manual swap, 5 or 6 speed, is going to require drive shaft work.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not me, I think the automatic in stock form is a POS. My G56 conversion cost me in the neighborhood of $3000 and I already had a clutch pedal and hydraulic linkage from the NV4500. I don't know it for a fact but I believe that any manual swap, 5 or 6 speed, is going to require drive shaft work.
I knew you would chime in, and back me up! The g56 would be my ultimate goal, my last nv5600 was a box of rocks. I was just hoping to minimize the about of driveshaft nonsense I would have to deal with. You're RWD correct?

·
Registered
17,505 Posts
Yes, RWD. My driveshaft had to be lengthened and have a flange installed.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll keep my eyes open for a g56. I really don't want to do a 5600 again.... that was the crunchiest most miserable thing I've ever driven.

In the meantime, maybe I'll go to the wrecking yard and see if I can find anything so I can measure stuff. However the closest yard is 2hrs away. We shall see.

·
The 10th Man
4,366 Posts
I've got two trucks, one with a g56 and 700hp, the other with a manual valve body 47RH and 550hp. Honestly the auto is a blast to daily drive in the city, the fact that you can get in the power band once and stay there until overdrive is nice, as opposed to having to spool the turbos 5 times. For towing duty, the G56 is nice because of the extra gears.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got two trucks, one with a g56 and 700hp, the other with a manual valve body 47RH and 550hp. Honestly the auto is a blast to daily drive in the city, the fact that you can get in the power band once and stay there until overdrive is nice, as opposed to having to spool the turbos 5 times. For towing duty, the G56 is nice because of the extra gears.
I like the allure of a Built 47rh. It's nothing that I cant do myself, as far as assembling. But once I get started I tend to overdo something and want a triple disc, all billet shafts, billet drums, all that stuff. Which would probably be easier in the long run given that's what's in the truck anyways. However, I'll be into the auto for more than the truck is probably worth. Guess it would be a good way to talk myself into actually keeping it. Lol

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I gathered last night after a couple more hours of searching....

The RH 4x4 is approx 31-½" long.
Nv5600 4x4 is approx 31-⅜" long.
G56 4x4 is approx 2-½" shorter than both.
Nv4500 4x4 is approx 26-½".

Stands to reason, that if I'm keeping my DHD transfer case, I can reasonably expect the nv5600 to be a bolt in affair. If my lengths are within .125" of each other, there is no reason it wont work, with the drivelines I have. in my mind anyway. Other than the fact that I'm not a fan 0f the 5600.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
While I don't blame you for wanting a hand shaker, all that needs to be done for a sub 500hp 12v as far as a 47RH goes - good billet single, flex plate, a GOOD valve body with all the little billet bits & high line pressure.

$1200 total + $300 in clutches/steels/front band.

Billet input & triple disc optional, but should still keep you under $2k, + clutches/steels/band.

Spooling the turbo/s just once - priceless.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While I don't blame you for wanting a hand shaker, all that needs to be done for a sub 500hp 12v as far as a 47RH goes - good billet single, flex plate, a GOOD valve body with all the little billet bits & high line pressure.

$1200 total + a couple $100 in clutches/steels/front band. Billet input optional.
I'm never gonna push the engine. And the transmission as the truck sits now functions wonderfully. Part of me is telling myself just leave it alone. Leave it stock. Dont ruin the truck.

The other half of me is saying.... DO IT!!!! MO POWA BABY!!! And well... a balls out 12v can easily shatter a manual gearbox.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Well heck; dump in something like a Goerend single in 15SS flavor, and reap the benefits of a better fluid coupling along with a slightly lowered stall.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well heck; dump in something like a Goerend single in 15SS flavor, and reap the benefits of a better fluid coupling along with a slightly lowered stall.
Would be good.

Idk. Just cant make up my mind. Maybe I'll just sell her and get something with a manual gearbox already in it. I dont want to taint her stockness.

·
On call 24/7
12,505 Posts
When I swapped from 47re and dld to a nv4500 dhd, I did not make any driveline changes. The rear could have been lengthened an inch or so but I never did. Late model G56 would be choice if I was doing it again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts