Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the Transmission rebuilt 2 months ago have 6000 miles on it and it started randomly downshifting out of overdrive for about 2 weeks and now it's happened 4 times past 2 days to where it shifts into overdrive at 45 then a second later it kicks out revs up then back in. Anyone have this problems or know where to start? Thank you!

·
Registered
616 Posts
is it shifting out of 4th, or possibly convertor locking/unlocking?
Not much experience with the RH. But I'm assuming it shifts into 4th then when conditions are right it locks the convertor.

Are you holding a speed right around 45 or are you accelerating through?

·
Registered
279 Posts
This sounds like potentially a bad TPS. I would recommend looking at your output voltage from your TPS (middle wire in the 3 pin connector). Should be ~0.8V at idle and ~3.2V WOT. Watch for smooth voltage transition from idle to WOT.

Reactions: dhoagland

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's randomly over 45 when TC is locked it unlocks then locks again had been happening everyday at random times just cruising on highway like today was at 70 happened once and yesterday once at 55mph and 65 a lil later

·
Registered
528 Posts
TPS is certainly a possibility - there are other possibilities besides TPS. Worn bellcrank bushings that allow movement of the bellcrank/TPS shaft will play hell, as I found out - and can trash the TPS. I occasionally get torque-converter cycling in OD, and when I put my scan tool on I get a code about high/out-of-range TPS voltage (MIL/CEL isn't on) - the code description leads me to believe the ground-feed may be dropping out (possible PCM issue, or possibly wiring). Consider taking it to one of the places that will scan for codes and see if you have trouble codes.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Dont even worry about the tps take it off throw it in the trash. Go to gnr customs get ur self the tps delete there 50 bucks. No headaches no worrying about throttle linkage being shot.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I don't see how a TPS-delete will help the OP if the TPS is not actually his problem. He first needs to to do a little more digging and try to determine if it is actually the TPS at fault.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
if its skipping in and out of lock up mostly like it's the tps junk. I would delete it anyways the stock tps are junk even a new ones are junk.
He might have another issues but I would just go to the tps first with it skipping in and out of lock up

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am having a similar issue. Maybe our issues are similar. My 47RH simply would not go into overdrive. All other shifting was good and normal. 3K rpms and still wouldn't go into overdrive. Turned out to be a broken OD accumulator spring. Trans will now go into OD with a new OD accumulator spring. However, it is really late to go into overdrive and if I don't run +75mph, it comes out of OD and redlines in 3rd. Through all of my troubleshooting, I did find the TPS voltage output to be out of spec. Old sensor read ~0.45V at idle and ~1.15V WOT. Seemed like the sensor was bad so I bought a new one from Cummins. Similar results with the new sensor. ~0.75V at Idle and ~1.40V WOT. With the TPS sensor removed from the throttle linkage, I could manually turn the TPS and see the desired ~4.5V at WOT. So, though that the bell crank shaft was wore and just not turning the TPS enough as throttle increased. I have a 1995 dodge with a manual trans and I swapped the bell cranks. The manual trans doesn't use a TPS so the bell crank out of the 1995 was virtually brand new. Same results as the old bell crank. ~0.75V at Idle and ~1.40V WOT. I don't really see how but throttle linkage maybe??? Running out of ideas, PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm having similar issues with a stock 95.

I'm going to check the TPS voltage and delete if bad, but also does the 47rh suffer from the electrical noise that I'm seeing the 47re suffers from? Or possibly bad grounds that I can clean up?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hook your foot under the brake pedal and pull up while you are driving. If the torque converter stops kicking in and out it’s your brake light switch. Bend the bracket closer to the pedal and you’re good to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts