Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

47rh need help

786 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  RPegram
tps went out and smoked overdrive... its being rebuilt now... my question is if im going to put a tc lockup switch in do i need to replace the tps? and how do i put a lockup switch in?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,639 Posts
Here's instructions for lockup switch:

Click> http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...anual-torque-convertor-lock-up-switch-nc.html

If I had to guess, I would say no fuel plate is what "smoked" overdrive. The TPS only tells the PCM when to engage OD and lockup. Playing with fuel takes out converter and OD. If you are going to keep the fuel plate out, you will HAVE to upgrade or replace valve body and install a good torque converter. Three common companies on here are Goerend, DTT and Suncoast. All three carry good converters and DTT also carries a DIY custom made valve body kit. If you plan on locked shifts with your new switch, then you will also HAVE to at least install a billet input shaft. Also, in order for trans to work properly, you will need to replace the TPS and get it properly adjusted. Unforturnately many have found you can very inexpensively play with fuel, but the trans will cost you some money to make it hold up.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the only reason overdrive smoked is because the tps wasnt telling the tc to lockup so it wasnt fully locking the clutches... got the tranny apart and everything is looking good other than overdrive clutches.... so if i back the fuel off and put a plate in it can i bypass putting the new tps in and put in manual lockup switches?

· Registered
1,639 Posts
You can easily install switches to control both OD and converter lockup. It will get tiring real fast especially when you forget to unlock and input shaft breaks. Coming to a stop with converter locked can take out shaft after only a couple of times. If OD solenoid is not engaging then you most likely also have a faulty solenoid or sticking valve in valve body. OD have been taken out by many when they add torque to stock trans. The clutches just simply don't get enough pressure to hold the extra torque. Another extremely popular item to fail is the torque converter. Extra torque on stock unit will take this out even faster than OD clutches. Good chance yours is slipping and you couldn't tell it. Now is time to upgrade the converter and valve body to increase line pressure in trans. If you don't, then most any plate other than stock in stock location will take out trans again. It's like a viscious circle, once you do one thing you have to do another to keep that piece from breaking. Once you upgrade valve body and increase pressure, then you start worrying about band apply levers, accumulator piston rings and such. They can take it for a while, but they will eventually fail. While the trans is out now is the time to at least do a converter upgrade and something to increase the line pressure in trans. If you don't, you'll get to pull trans again very shortly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.