Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

47RH goin out????

776 Views 9 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  8lugcustomz
Hey guys, So I just had the diesel shop weld up my tranny gauge sensor to my pan today and when they pulled the pan off they said that there was metal shavings from the torque converter in the bottom of the pan. They said it was going to be around $3000 to fix. So my question is... Is this common to happen just all of a sudden? I just changed my tranny fluid 6000 miles ago and didn't see anything at the bottom of the pan and didn't tow or race in those 6000 miles so I don't know how it just starts to blow up in that short of time. They said I will need to rebuild my tranny. How long does it take for it to completely go out?
My truck is stock and I just bought the Edge EZ chip but haven't installed it. I am thinking if I put the chip in it is just going to tear up my tranny faster or should I rebuild my tranny then install the chip?
The truck isn't slipping or shifting hard and shows no signs of slipping our going out so maybe he was just trying to up-sell me on some BS. Let me know your guys opinion Thanks for your help. my truck has never towed much and is almost stock.... like i said haven't put the EZ on yet. iv got 108000 miles on it... that's about it need some suggestions on what i should do... i don't have lots of money so i don't want an all new trans i wont need a big upgrade i will never be running lots of power... thanks
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· GA CUMMINS CREW PREZ & Captain of the USS FAILBOAT
5,525 Posts
you will know if its going out on a stock truck, it will start hesitating when it shifts, fuel mileage will go down, sometimes the rpms will climb when the tc slips, it will shudder when the tc locks... just a whole list of stuff, i would put a tranny temp gauge in just to see what its doing...

· Premium Member
11,940 Posts
Did you see the metal from your pan? A normal amount of metal equal to volume and size of a quarter is about normal for this tranny. However 6000 miles since looked is not good if in fact yours. How does lockup feel during third and fourth shifts? Does RPM slide upwards too fast under light passing acceleration condition? What was the conditin of magnet in pan? Did it look like black Krispy Kreem donut???

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol no it wasnt that dirty when i did it but the shop that did it just showed me what they found... they looked like metal finger nail clipings... and my truck gets up and gos good and it shifts and accelerates fine... this is why i dont know how they think its going out but i think in about a week when i change my oil i will just do a trany change and see what i find then i will post some pics

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also, the fluid that was with the chips was real dirty but there is no way mine was that bad because I just did it less then 10000 miles ago it was almost brown so I don’t think it was really out of my trans

· Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Registered
805 Posts
Normally id say to get a full built transmission so youll have it when you need it. But if your looking for a budget build, id go with the suncoast extreme rebuild kit, suncoast valve body, and a triple disc converter. Im actually thinking of doing that to my truck since im low on doe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.