Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day guys. It has been a while since I have spent much time here. My truck shall soon be taken out of storage. I have been trying to search for info on my questions without much luck. My questions are, do I need the fluid to fluid tranny cooler located down under the rad? I am in a cooler climate and should not be towing much more then 7000 lbs total weight loaded, a few times the summer for a distance of 450 miles. I want to remove the existing cooler before it gives out on me, after reading horror stories. It was probably installed (if not stock) when the transmission was overhauled with BD parts after year 2000. Where would I get a new cooler in Canada? I have had new tranny lines for 3 years. Time to get at it and install them. What are the type of fittings they go into? Thank you for any reply.

·
The Uppity 12v Admin
8,211 Posts
The oil-air cooler alone has been found questionable on unloaded trucks. If you are towing at all, it alone will be grossly insufficient. You will overheat and destroy your transmission if you delete the oil-coolant heat exchanger without adding a large amount of oil-air cooling capacity (additional air-oil coolers under the bed or elsewhere. This gets expensive very quickly).

Behr makes new ones. 3935812 is the part number. Shop around as prices and availability are all over the place.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Anyone ever see the inside of one? Is it just a tube running through it? Or a coil? It probably helps warm fluid in winter where it gets really cold.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I will do a pressure test on it . Put a press of 2.5 times working pressure . With a 15 lb rad cap that has never blown off. That means a pressure of 40 lbs should be good to see if any leakage into the tranny fluid side. Let the pressure hold for a 24 he period. I have only put about 33000 miles on the truck in about 8 years. However I prefer to put a new cooler if they are around 600 can dollars.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The oil-air cooler alone has been found questionable on unloaded trucks. If you are towing at all, it alone will be grossly insufficient. You will overheat and destroy your transmission if you delete the oil-coolant heat exchanger without adding a large amount of oil-air cooling capacity (additional air-oil coolers under the bed or elsewhere. This gets expensive very quickly).

Behr makes new ones. 3935812 is the part number. Shop around as prices and availability are all over the place.
Thanks for the reply. I certainly will start with your advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts