Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 Cummins 24v. Automatic. 30k miles on Jasper transmission. (Out of warranty since it was replaced 4 years ago)
The issue I'm having is.. it will not shift into 3rd gear with overdrive on but, with overdrive off it will shift into 3rd gear. What would cause this issue?

Thank you!

·
Registered
23,479 Posts
So it stops at second or it jumps to OD? Does it have lockup in either OD or third with OD off? Does it shift from first to second when it should or late at high rpm?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With overdrive on it won't shift past 2nd the rpms just keep rising. 1st and 2nd gear shifts perfect at a good rpm. When I have overdrive off it will shift into 3rd but shifts fast and early into 3rd. Seem it doesn't have lockup in 3rd but I'm really not sure if its actually locking or not. Kinda new with transmissions lol. I did check the 3-4 accumulator spring and it was not broken. I adjusted the tv cable and it definitely brought my shifts points down to were they should be but didn't help shifting into 3rd or overdrive.

·
Registered
23,479 Posts
It is not that expensive if you shop around for good brand and kits. NO cheap junk though. Use Rostra(from Transtar), Standard, Borg Warner, Duralast(autozone), WVE etc. I would do all electronics inside the trani. Most likely it is the Governor pressure sensor and/or the OD solenoids.
Ebay has some good kits for price, maybe elsewhere too.
Do the :
Governor pressure sensor(transducer)
Governor presrue solenoid
OD solenoids All inside and include fluid and filter. ATF 4 is cheapest at Walmart in Supertech
Also for 20 bucks do the Transmisson speed sensor on the outside left rear of the trani.

·
Registered
23,479 Posts
Good luck, also make sure all you cables and grounds are clean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts