Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 47RE that is giving me problems. At first, I Could go into second and have to baby it throught to third where I could drive normally as long as I didn't push it hard enough to downshift into second again. I pulled the pan and found the small fork btw the adjustment screw and the band. I put it back in and adjusted the front and rear bands but now I have lost reverse. I drained the fluid but it seems to be fine. Any Ideas?:CRY:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Parts in the pan are never a good thing. It sounds like you may have over adjusted the band and now have a drum that is sticking. It's time for a Pro to get in there and do a proper rebuild. Its one thing to put a band aid on a bruise to get you home, but trannies are nothing to hack with.
Years ago I had a friend with his GTO that wanted to street race a kid but his trans was slipping. I mixed a quart of B&M trick shift with a pint of brake fluid and told him he'd be doing a rebuild in the morning. He barked off all 3 gears winning the race and by the time he got home the trans was fried. It was ok though because he had another trans in the barn. The moral? Hacking may get the job done for now, but costs more in the end. We learned the hard way, please take a lesson from my wallet!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wedge piece

the piece was sort of triangle shaped and had a small notch in the end that went up against the band and had a hollowed out spot for the band adjusting screw in the other end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts