Cummins Diesel Forum banner

47RE limp mode? No first or fourth, Long question

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Diesel5.924v 
#1 ·
Hey guys fairly new here but not really new to diesel helped rebuild 7.3 and 6.6 but new to the 5.9 and 47RE. I bought a completely stock 2001 Cummins 448,000 miles about two months back and I’m having transmission problems, the truck runs and drives but I have no 1st gear in drive or manual, and no 4th/overdrive.
Story of owning the truck: when I first bought the truck I had to manual first then once up to speed shift to drive and it would shift all the way through, drive about 20-30 miles stopped for fuel and when I left it would not shift into first manually or in drive, also had no fourth. A few days later it randomly started shifting perfectly first through fourth in drive, went on to run it out of fuel, and when running again wouldn’t shift.
Went on to do pressure tests on trans, governor pressure not reading how it should. Went on to replace the solenoids in the valve body and install a new front band and Transgo shift kit, still no change but when trans fluid was topped up and voltage sitting at 14 on guage it started shifting perfectly. Then randomly stopped charging and gauge would dump off the low side and say check gauges . Batteries were not great, so two new batteries and an alternator still not change in charge or shift did the external regulator so it’s charging now but voltage is too high and gauge dumps off the high side.
So the question is does anyone know what’s happening it seems to be electrical and completely random I have an adjustable regulator coming any tips are very welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had the same problem with my 47re last year I had no OD and replaced the OD speed sensor and just a couple weeks ago I fixed my not 1st gear problem with the GM gov solenoid upgrade kit with the transducer. Got them both from DAP who is a Forum Vendor. OD sensor I just bought it on Amazon.

#3 ·
Ok so governor solenoid and overdrive sensor/output shaft speed sensor were replaced when I did the Transgo kit

#4 ·
Did you put on a whole rebuilt valve body with electronics? Do you have any codes? What brand electronics did you use? Did you replace all three plus the trani speed sensor at the left rear. Did you check the harness plug on top? If you are having charging problems and shifting issues it could be a bad PCM as it controls both.
First pull codes?

#5 ·
Alright guys time for an update, it’s been a while now I did end up figuring out the problem it had to do with a code that I pulled p1389 no automatic shutdown relay output voltage at PCM

So I was able to sit down for about three hours and read through a few different forums and found that the ASD relay allows power to the PCM and the code was saying that the PCM wasn’t getting the voltage it needed so I went through my relay box found the ASD and swapped it for the fuel relay went to start the truck it cranked but no start so I swapped the now fuel relay with the horn relay fired right up took off and bam I have 1st-4th gear.

So if you have this problem check your ASD relay and replace it, it’s a 12 dollar part at Napa instead of 700 dollars in parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.