Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with the trans I've just rebuilt on my 98. I got it all put back together and taking it for a test drive it slips between 2nd & 3rd and 3rd & OD with more than medium throttle applied. This only happens with OD engaged, with OD locked out it doesn't slip.

All the pressures are up to spec with what the service manual says they should be. I've also eliminated the valve-body as the problem(bought a DTT valve-body thinking that was the problem) is there anything else I can eliminate before I tear out the trans again? Or before the truck ends up at the bottom of Lake Mead.

TIA,
Corey

·
Premium Member
18,860 Posts
i had the same problem with mine. i stepped on mine and bent it. talk about being agged. anyhow bent it straight and it worked. also check your cable for bad spots it could be coming loose. try manually shifting it and letting it rev to higher rpm (don't try to blow it up) and shift it by hand. if it doesn't slip after you hold it for a second and shifts out fine your internals are ok

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Check the front band adjustment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tv cable is adjusted correctly and the front band has been double checked, I have a feeling it's something internal, maybe I nicked a seal or screwed up something installing the front clutches.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Post your pressures.

What clearances did you use for the clutch packs, and what clutches did you use?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2 pressure tests I did before I swapped out the valve-body were the front servo, it was 84 psi. @ 1800 rpm and the overdrive clutch, it was 80 psi @ 1800 rpm.

I bought the Alto Red Eagle master rebuild kit with a direct 5 clutch Power Pack and Kolene steels from PATC. The front clutch clearances were a little on the loose side 0.110 but within the service manual specs of 0.070-0.129 in.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
id tighten up your front band a lil 1 turn i would say. i just rebuilt mine, also you might have assembiled the front clutch inncorrectaily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I've got everything but the overdrive torn apart again, so far all the seals are still good and all the clutch pack clearance's are within the service manual specs.

Could this be an overdrive problem? Or am I just missing something?

·
Registered
285 Posts
it dosent sound like an od prob at all its something in the main case did you install your piston seals toward the front of the trans? if not would cause a prob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts