Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my built bd transmission is slipping in and out of lockup when o/d is on and off. I did and apps reset and it fixed the problem for a couple of weeks but it is now shifting in and out of lockup constantly again. I do have a bd torqloc switch so I can manually make it lock up to bypass this problem. But I do want it to go back to shifting normally. Is my apps shot? Or is it more transmission related. Just checked for codes and there aren't any.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Pull the alt fuse and see what that does,, there's a diode in the alt that can fail which allows ac current to leak into a dc current system which can give lockup issues.Check out the battery connections too.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pull the alt fuse and see what that does,, there's a diode in the alt that can fail which allows ac current to leak into a dc current system which can give lockup issues.Check out the battery connections too.
What does the alternator fuse do? What will happen if I pull it out? Or will it just not charge the batteries while it's out?

Battery terminals were just freshly cleaned and reinstalled a few months ago. They are spotless.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
It will stop the alt from charging but the truck will drive just fine.If the lockup issue goes away with the fuse out then it's probably a bad alt.I would have suggested the lockup solenoid is bad but I presume a built trans got a new udated one of these??.

·
Registered
457 Posts
If it don't do it when u pull it then you need a new alternator Bc it is leaking iodion into the system

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Reactions: tposton103

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was having the same problem with my truck. if you look at the back of the alternator were your wires are attached youll see a black wire run the opposite way of the wire harness, it a lone wire and runs toward your battery on the passenger side, if you zip tie that wire around your intake tube to lift it up and away from the back of your alternator you should be fine, it fixed my problems.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the ideas, I will start troubleshooting.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I wasn't sure where to start with this problem so I did another apps reset and that fixes the problem every single time. But it only lasts for a few weeks before the tranny starts having issues again of going in and out of lockup. What does this mean?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had this issue along with a buddy and the bd noise insulator fixed both of them. Its worth spending 30 bucks on.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Seriously??? Did you try removing the alternator big fuse yet? It is 9/10 the alternator failing. It is a seriously easy test, no damage done, and you can drive a ways on just the batteries to test it (assuming you dont have crap batteries).

Do it, do not run isolators, I know you don't like the idea of buying an alternator so you don't check it. But think of it this way, you isolate the trans so it can shift, but now you left you ECM, PCM, and VP44 high and dry...Now which sounds more expensive? An alternator or a couple of modules???

CHECK IT!

·
On call 24/7
12,630 Posts
Mine does the same thing, I have tried everything other than zip tieing the cable and the noise isolator. Will do the zip tie tomorrow.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was having the same problem with my truck. if you look at the back of the alternator were your wires are attached youll see a black wire run the opposite way of the wire harness, it a lone wire and runs toward your battery on the passenger side, if you zip tie that wire around your intake tube to lift it up and away from the back of your alternator you should be fine, it fixed my problems.
Wow I was really hesitant on this method but it's so easy to do I tried it and it fixed it! I can't believe what an easy fix that was. It's just a ground wire that runs out of the main wiring harness in behind and almost rests on the very back of the alternator. It goes to the passenger side fender and grounds with a screw there. I just zip tied the wire where it rests on the back of the alternator up to the intake tube (there's lots of slack in the wire to do this) like you said and no more shifting issues.

As a matter of fact my tranny seems to shift better through all the gears now. I don't know if this will fix everyone's issues with this but it certainly fixed mine. Wow thanks so much for the simple but awesome working advice ltcummins. If I lived near you I'd buy you a beer for sure!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.