Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm supposed to be leaving for a camping trip with my truck tomorrow and I can't get it to drive! I've got a '97 3500 that I just finished going through completely - engine rebuild, complete PCS HD steering, stainless brake lines and brakes, fuel system upgraded to PTFE lines with Aeromotive A1000 FPR on the return line, AirDog DP-200, new batteries, etc. Just finished putting everything back together. The problem I am having is that the truck stalls when I put it into D or R. I've done a lot of reading and it seems like it could have something to do with the governor springs. I did just install 4K governor springs and an AFC Live with their AFC spring kit. Fuel pressure is rock solid at 40 PSI. When I put it in R or D, I can keep the engine running but it won't go above 1,200 RPM even if I am flooring it. The truck will not move although it is trying (it's parked in the grass in divots because it's been sitting for a long time). I think I could get it rolling if I was on pavement. Not sure if it is fuel related or if it has something to do with the transmission. Transmission was recently rebuilt by Lanning Diesel with a Goerend valve body and triple disc converter. However, I did nothing to the transmission and it was working great before I took everything apart. Any help is appreciated. I do have a couple of spare P7100 pumps so I could swap one out. Just don't want to go through all that work if it is the transmission. How do I diagnose this?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
If u start the truck in neutral and flat foot it what rpms can u get out of it

·
Registered
17,508 Posts
When you pulled the engine did you also pull the tq converter off the front of the transmission or did you unbolt it from the flex plate prior to removal?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Torque converter in lockup cause this? I know it would in forward, not sure if it affects reverse. I think it would.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been camping without internet and just saw the replies. Thanks. So the problem was that I forgot to keep the original outer springs when installing the 4k governor spring kit. Put those back in and it had plenty of power.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts