Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know therte are a bunch of posts for this, none of the have posted that the peoblem was resolved or how. So here goes.

2001 ram 3500 cummins.
the trans doesnt shift into OD or lock up as far as I can tell. engine rpms @ 60 mph are 2400. seems to shift fine 1-3rd.

Now some back ground on the truck. I bought it used, has 260k miles on it, but runs strong. However the wiring under the hood is a mess. there was an extention cord and lamp cord from the APPS to the ECM. I replaced all of that mess, swoldered and heat shrinked the connetions to APPS plug, All the grounds are clumped together w/wire nut. Prior to me fixing it, the cruse control worked but now doesnt. There was one wire to -bat terminal.

I guess I would like to start by confirming that the problem isnt with the transmission. I have read there is a way to force it to shift by grounding a wire #6 on the tranny plug, but I dont know where to find said plug.
Hayse, and chiltons manuals dont show wiring diagrams for tranny.

Can any1 tell me where to look for this tranny connector? Could my problem be the speed sensor? I have read this could be the problem.

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
You have to do the work yourself. Get a Factory Service manual. Then you have a reference for communicating. "BoostedOne" has a thread on throughlly checking. Do a search for his thread and all is covered..
Speed sensor on left rear of tranny a remote possibility. However only cost $20 so easier to replace than try and diagnois. i assume the speedo works correctlly..
So you fubarred the speed control wiring or lost the vacuum source to it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts