Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
You can keep the change.
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so quite a few times ive hit over 40 lbs of boost with the fagtory turbo and head gasket. Thank god for no problems yet. It is my understanding that anything over about 40 psi with factory turbo/ head gaskets is asking for trouble. Im looking to add NOS and a few other goodies but before i do that id like to see what you guys thought about choosing a good set of head studs and what is a recomended head gasket to use to hold more boost??? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I saw 42 the other day with my smarty on level 5. My truck is stock other than that. I didn't know that over 40 was bad.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
your fine with 45 on a stock head gasket and bolts, but if you are adding the nos and that i'd do studs and o-rings.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
i have seen 50 with no problems. i heard that the stock gaskets are good up to 60 psi but thats playin' with a risky set of cards. i dont know, somebody will chim in and get us straight.

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
i have seen 50 with no problems. i heard that the stock gaskets are good up to 60 psi but thats playin' with a risky set of cards. i dont know, somebody will chim in and get us straight.
Not on the second gens..you do have studs, right?...

A third gen is good to about 50psi on stock studs but even over 45psi you'd be best to get a good stud kit....

·
Never Enough TQ
864 Posts
your fine with 45 on a stock head gasket and bolts, but if you are adding the nos and that i'd do studs and o-rings.
From what ive heard is that o-ringed heads are pretty over rated.. it shouldnt be needed for some time. Mike Drever ("worlds" fastest commonrail) doesnt even have his head oringed, given he's only pushing 60ish psi.. but yet im sure lots of guys will disagree on when orings are needed!
I wouldnt spend the cash (not even sure what its worth) a guy was goin stupid crazy and pushin real high boost numbers

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Take me as proof or not...with my setup and I only have head studs on a stock head gasket(new). I over tourqed my nuts and did plenty of retourqing....just be careful not to break a stud from too much cranking.

I see 60 psi no problem with nitorus. Truck is a weekend driver only.

Cumnspwr

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Ok, so quite a few times ive hit over 40 lbs of boost with the fagtory turbo and head gasket. Thank god for no problems yet. It is my understanding that anything over about 40 psi with factory turbo/ head gaskets is asking for trouble. Im looking to add NOS and a few other goodies but before i do that id like to see what you guys thought about choosing a good set of head studs and what is a recomended head gasket to use to hold more boost??? Thanks.
Studs yes....stock turbo on nitrous over 40 p.s.i.=asking for trouble!:$:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I have also read several places that above 40 psi the stock turbo is not efficient and really starts to create a lot of heat and will go south.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
to see safe boost p.s.i. over 40 get a SPS62 or bigger!:thumbsup:hyper:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts