Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it better to leave the truck running or plug it in overnight when it's this cold? My 15W40 isn't moving too well in the AM lately (0W40 synthetic asap for me). Is a cold start up worse than leaving it run all night @ 1250 rpm at these temperatures? Is the DFP going to clog up too much, because there isn't any highway up here where I'm working to unclog it. A limp mode event could be pretty ugly 50k in the bush and 200k from the nearest dealer....

·
I wanna go fast...
3,475 Posts
I would say plug it in. It gets to -10 and I become ignorant though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
-40 insane!!! Where are you at????

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it was -62 with the wind chill yesterday up in northern Alberta, Zama City :S:- I forgot my cord @ work, hope someone has one here :banghead:

·
Administrator
7,072 Posts
Dino sucks when its cold. If you leave it plugged in you won't have any problems. Leaving it run all night would be my last resort. I switched to Shell Rotella T full synthetic 5w40 and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
0W40 would be a good bet up here, no? Seems as though I might have a little supply....:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
7,072 Posts
Nothing wrong with 0w40, especially if the price is right.

·
Registered
901 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:agree2:
Texas is good. :thumbsup:
If I could make the ca$h down there as I do up here, nothing would make me happier

·
Premium Member
7,010 Posts
Can you park the truck inside or inside a heated shop?

Or does it have to be parked outside?

Definately plug it in either way

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She's outside up here, and I would think pulling it out in -40 form +20 every day would be nothing but trouble with the condensation in the fuel system. I must have the best 15' extension cord in the north- $90 bucks at the corner store up here

·
Registered
113 Posts
-40 here the last couple days too. should be fine just plugging in, if you let her run, you'll have dpf problems for sure. i did a couple years ago when it was -50 and i still had that crap!

·
Registered
8,732 Posts
I have been in some cold crap up in Colorado before when I was alpine ski racing, but -60 degrees tops it! I couldn't imagine. Doesn't chit just break?

·
Registered
113 Posts
truck rides a little rough until the suspension warms up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
i see 40+ below here in Havre Mt and i and a 7.3 ford with a block heater, magnitic oil pan heater, and heated battery blankets. and i have no problems starting in these temps.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm running 0w40 synthetic and have noticed a big improvement on startup in the cold. The last week it's been around -35*C here and even after sitting for 12 hours all night, it fires right up and oil pressure builds pretty quick. I plug it in during the day when I'm back at camp though just to be nice :hehe:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
-68 F with windchill this morning (-40F/20 mph wind). I thought I had flats this morning, the tires are even frozen. After -29 C, metal fatigue starts occuring and ratings go out the window.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
it was -62 with the wind chill yesterday up in northern Alberta, Zama City :S:- I forgot my cord @ work, hope someone has one here :banghead:
1. Plug it in or park it inside a heated garage, keep the fuel tank full to minimize any condensation.

2, Are your temps in *C or *F,,it makes a big difference

3.The windchill can not lower the temp of your truck below the ambient temp.

We can see -60*F with out the windchill.
I use dino oil and plug it in but it still starts with out being plugged in . The trick, good batteries.
Up grade your stock batteries to some batteries with more CCA.

1. What is wind chill temperature?

A.
The wind chill temperature is how cold people and animals feel when outside. Windchill is based on the rate of heat loss from exposed skin caused by wind and cold. As the wind increases, it draws heat from the body, driving down skin temperature and eventually the internal body temperature. Therefore, the wind makes it FEEL much colder. If the temperature is 0 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind is blowing at 15 mph, the wind chill is -19 degrees Fahrenheit. At this wind chill temperature, exposed skin can freeze in 30 minutes.

2. Can wind chill impact my car's radiator or exposed water pipe?

A. The only effect wind chill has on inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes, is to shorten the amount of time for the object to cool. The inanimate object will not cool below the actual air temperature. For example, if the temperature outside is -5 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind chill temperature is -31 degrees Fahrenheit, then your car's radiator will not drop lower than -5 degrees Fahrenheit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts