Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

4 wheel drive not working!

1627 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  runningbird
my 4wd will not engage, the front drive shaft spins but wont do anything, wondering if its the actuator or wat?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I would check for a vacuum leak at the actuator. If the vacuum is not strong enough, the internal collar will not engage the outer axle. A crummy system if there ever was one.

· Registered
45 Posts
yep i agree cheak the vacume line this happened to my uncle at the lake he was working on the t case and didn't hook the line back up and he got stuck in the sand going down hill lol we looked under neith it and hooked it up and it engaged and then we backed up the same hill with it in reverse and didn't enevn come close to getting stuck lol good times:hehe:

· Registered
152 Posts
Mine broke also. I bought the parts and I'm going to do this..........
Home made POSI LOCK write up - JeepForum.com

This is much cheaper than the commercially built posti-locker. Either one of these not only gives a reliable system but also gives the option of having 2wd low range. this is great for backing up to trailers and easing through tight spots. I have cattle and low range is a much better speed for leading cattle. :drool2: is what they do when they see or hear the diesel truck aka feed wagon.

· Registered
80 Posts
Go with the posi lock. I have seen lots of home made copies which are as reliable as the real deal until they are stuck so deep that you can't even find the front axle. Then they fail and you are totally screwed. I have one on my Jeep and one on the diesel. Worth the extra expense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.