Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an input or know how different 4 or 5 inch pipe is gonna sound on the 6.7? I've always been kinda jealous of the power joke turbo whistle and figure this 6.7, with the jake brake, should put out a little more of a whistle than the 5.9. I watched the film of the guy on youtube with his turbo whistle he just didn't write any info on what he did. Will the 4 inch put out more of a "whistle" than the 5 inch or vice versa. Or is the only difference between the two for lower egt's. I'm considering turbo back 5" straight, but if 4 puts out more "whistle" thats cool i don't do any heavy pulling, I just think the whistle is cool..........
:w:

·
Registered
475 Posts
the exhaust brake is what will give you the whistle 4" or 5". The powerjokes do not have near the whisle.

and get rid of the air baffle you will hear ALOT of turbo

·
Smells like Bananas
7,242 Posts
DUDE, I can help you out on this as i have had the 4" TBE and now i have the 5"TBE stainless Steel. Huge difference in sound. The 5" is loud and deep but the 5" Alu. Steel is different from the Stainless Steel. It sounds crappy compared to the Stainless Steel. The denser steel gives a great sound. The exhaust sounds bad as&. Go with the 5" TBE Stainless Steel and your PSD friends will be jealous. Do not waste your money on anytime else. The people that tell you Alu steel has a good sound have not heard the difference of Stainless, 4" and 5" sound is night and day difference.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is anyone selling the SS 5" TBE yet. I didn't think anyone had that.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
BADP sells it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
mattpopp the 4 and 5 ss the sound diffrence how much louder is it in the cab and howv much deaper over all?

·
Banned
393 Posts
Wont running a 5" TBE on a 6.7 flash codes on ya? And also i heard you lose low end torque with a 5" unless your runnin 500+hp, or your flange on the turbo is 5". What happens with your DPF? I ordered a 5.9 07...last one in the south, and they say that a 5.9 cant utilize a 5" TBE unless your seriously upgraded

·
Banned
393 Posts
Also ....tell me about those 22.5 alcoas. I've been looking but would like more info. Did you lose mileage, do they rub, can you still pull a fifth wheel/gooseneck,

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
For the price I got my 5" Aluminized TBE I'm not complaining about it one bit. Regardless the sound and flow over my old 4" TBE is second to none.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I would have to see a dyno sheet to prove that a larger exhaust loses torque. On a non turbo application maybe because the exhaust flow will not be balanced to help with scavenging. On a turbo charged engine the turbo produces the backpressure to balance exhaust notes. After the turbo you want to get rid op it asap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info mattpopp ur the second guy that says SS is the way to go. I think I'm just gonna get 5" and be done, if I do it might as well do it right. Right?

Ciam', I'm with you, I would have to see dyno sheets to prove a loss of torque... only makes sense.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That's why I'm going with the 5". With as many mods you can do with the 5.9, it's only a matter of time before some more big upgrades come out and you'll be wishing you had the 5" to handle it then. I like the idea of SS pipe just for the fact that it will resist the rust a little better than the aluminized pipe, so for those of you that plan on running your trucks for a good number of years and alot of miles, it might be worth it to upgrade to have the exhaust last a little longer. I want SS just because I hate the idea of anything rusty on my vehicles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts