Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Smells like Bananas
7,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have the 12v now. Its not going to be until next year when the heavy mods come. I am just going to do the Simply and nice mods for now. Air box, Exhaust and Guages.

I love the sound of the 5" but my question is. Will the 5" hurt me in any way until i dump the money into the Engine and tranny. As i have heard from sources that too much free flow hurts. Is that true and should i stike to the 4".

I was thinking about a single stack but i think later that i am going to shave the tail gate and have the exhaust come through the center of the tail gate.

·
Registered
204 Posts
There as along discussion on another thread about this and what i gathered was that the 5" would give you a bit less throttle response down low, but that was it. I would go ahead and get the 5" they just sound so good.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
5 inch will not hurt anything. It will help ya more than anything and lower youre EGT's! :thumbsup 5" also sounds pretty dang good compared to my 4". :thumbsup

·
Smells like Bananas
7,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good, that is what i wanted to hear. There is about 150 degree difference on my 6.7 with the 4 to 5 exhaust. I know my 6.7 sounds a ton better with the 5" and i want the same with my 12v

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
My buddy had 5 inch on his '96 12 valve before we put the stacks on it. It sounded freakin awesome! First he had straight 4 then moved to straight 5 then went to 5inch to 6 inch mitres. The stacks are louder of course but the straight 5 inch sounded pretty dang good too.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
A 5 inch exhaust on a 12v sounds very nice....:thumbsup

·
Registered
88 Posts
then went to 5inch to 6 inch mitres. The stacks are louder of course but the straight 5 inch sounded pretty dang good too.
I don't know why but I have heard that straight pipes on semi trucks the smaller diameter pipe the louder the truck. You put 8 inch pipes on a big truck and it'll be a deeper, quieter sound. I have straight 6's on my pete and that thing roars, especially with the jake brake on. You want to scare the crap out of ricers hit the jakes right behind them in a tunnel. They cant hear their coffee can exhaust and all they see is a big Pete grill in their mirror. They get outta the way pretty quick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts