Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! My first post here, but I've been lurkin' around for a while now doing research on what mods I'd like to perform on my 06 megacab and in what order. I have an AFE stage 2 CAI and I would like to get an exhaust upgrade next. I have read most of the posts regarding exhaust upgades and from what I gather, the consensus is stick with a 4" up to about 500hp. I can appreciate that however I eventually want to make between 500-600hp :)$:lots to do before I get there!:$:) so here are my questions and I really hope you guys (and gals!) can help me!

1. What negative effects (i.e. perf, mpg etc) of running 5" until I start making the ~500hp magic number (would hate to have to buy a second exhaust kit!)?

2. Is the infamous "drone" any worse on a 5" system vs a 4" system? (lets compare 2 of the same systems like mbrp 4" and 5" for example)

3. Finally (and thanks for still reading!!) what turbo back kit w/high flow muffler is the most mellow sounding (i.e. quiet..... I know, I know but the better half will NOT allow straight pipes no matter how much I beg!!)

Thanx in advance, I know it's a lot but any info would greatly help!
Ryan:peelout

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
All aftermarket systems will get you nowhere with your better half, they all increase flow and are for the most part open mufflers.

5" was designed for the Cummins owner, the PSD and Dmax boys do it to keep up. The 6 Cylinder 5.9 actually sounds quieter with a 5" system in my opinion because it deepens the tone. It's not really quieter, but is perceived to be..... remember perception is reality.

If you want it to sound great, and want to keep her happy.... Give us a call, we have an answer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys.. posted reply same time as you! Thanks for the insight! What system would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
265 Posts
DONALDSON muffler 51" and a 4" pipe on mine....left the cat and resonator.......and before the muffler,.....I had drone that shane from wicked diesel heard through my cell phone ! and he said wow ! that's loud bro............put the donaldson on a it's nice now.
just my .02

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks dieselconvert! I appreciate ur .02!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just out the FBD 5" w/muffler under my 03. At idle it doesn't sound any louder. but it does have a nice deeeep sound and my better 1/2 liked it to. I'm a lucking man:peelout

1 - 8 of 8 Posts