Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
spoke to a local shop and they said that behind turbo anyway is 4" so a 5" wont make any difference....

Which should i get?

4" all the way back

or

5" dpf then 5" all the way back...

?

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
spoke to a local shop and they said that behind turbo anyway is 4" so a 5" wont make any difference....

Which should i get?

4" all the way back

or

5" dpf then 5" all the way back...

?
Well in my opinion, no one really needs 5" until they are pushing 500-550hp or so. That being said, I prefer the sound of the 5".

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have no problems with my 4 inch turbo back and the sound is fine for me however Im not into obnoxious or anything like that, also I left the muffler(resonator) in place so I have no drone either. my .02!

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
5" does have a better tone IMO.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've got a '94 with a 4" straight pipe. Sounds pretty good, but I hear 4" is a bit more raspy than the deeper 5" tone. :thumbsup My buddy is going to 6" mitres, so I'll try out the 5" straight pipe he has. Should help with a few upgrades to the old 12 valve. I've had side-out before the rear axle. Now I'll have it over the rear axle.
Think I need to look into a bigger downpipe, too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
On my big truck i run 8"pipes.i had 6" and the 8's are a lot deeper sound. so i think its all in the sound you want.(bigger is better)

·
Registered
458 Posts
On my big truck i run 8"pipes.i had 6" and the 8's are a lot deeper sound. so i think its all in the sound you want.(bigger is better)
Got any pix of that?
I saw quite a few big rigs for sale on farms in the thumb of Michigan on the way up north on Memorial Day weekend. One was sweet with 10" black stacks. My battery was dead on my camera. Next time up, I'll get some pix of it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
search- Bret Schmid Trucking- thats my truck.(black with green engine)

·
Registered
45 Posts
4 will do fine. 5 is mostly for looks, or like k2 said unless you're running alomst 600

1 - 9 of 9 Posts