Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 2500 and I'm going to go turbo back with stainless. Should I go 4 inch or 5 inch? I've heard that if your truck isn't pushing 600+ hp that 5 inch will actually rob you of hp. Also does the different brands really make that big of a difference in the sound? I want a deep low sound. MBRP exhausts sounds good on youtube, but other than the muffler being different isn't the systems just pipe?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I had a 4in straight pipe turbo back, before my 5in and would never go back. 5in sounds so much better. a lot deeper throaty sound. As far as power..I really don't know. I'm guessing you'd never tell a difference unless on a dyno.. Good luck with whatever way you go..

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
5" all the way sounds much much better. The pipes can be the same as far as material but some have welded clamps on them and fit better. I had a 4" went to 5" MBRP and never looked back

·
Registered
304 Posts
Only thing that sucks is no one makes a 5" dual setup. Also 5" has been known to drone more running straight exhaust, from what ive experienced.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
give FTE a pm... best deal! If you drive alot or have the family with you alot definatly go with the 4", my 5" has a seriouse drone when my tq is locked or getting up to speed from a idle. Cruising isn't so bad...fyi

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I'll probably go with the 5 inch even though the price tag is a bit more. I would like to go with mbrp but they don't make a 5 inch in stainless. I guess I will have to go with another brand and just put a mbrp muffler on the setup. Will a 5 inch down pipe fit without rubbing/vibrating? Or do I need to do a 4 inch down pipe then 5 inch back from there?

·
Registered
107 Posts
A 5" downpipe will clear. My 5" FlowPro with muffler doesn't drone, at 1000-1100 RPM it makes a bit more tone but not a problem at highway speeds.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Only thing that sucks is no one makes a 5" dual setup. Also 5" has been known to drone more running straight exhaust, from what ive experienced.
Area gives you a pretty good estimate of flow, a single 5" has an area of about 19.63 square inches while dual 4" has an area of about 25.13 square inches. FTE sells a kit (I believe) which is 5" to the axle and then dual 4" to the tips. You wouldn't lose any performance doing this. A single 5" pipe flows about as much as dual 3.5" pipes, and a single 4" flows about as much as dual 2.8" pipes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard that one side of the duals will eventually "sag" making the 2 sides uneven. They do look awesome new, but I'm going to stick with a single 5 inch

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just curious but are you guys seeing a pretty big difference in horsepower/economy without all the emission crapola? My Pops is thinking of upgrading his exhaust cause he isnt happy with the mileage at all... 11-14 tops nice power though

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Why would buy a aftermarket 4" when it has a factory 4" on it??? You wouldn't see any difference, don't waste your money. Go with a 5" if you want to change the factory exhaust.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok now I need another opinion from everyone. I've decided to go single 5 inch stainless turbo back, but I can get two different brands for the same price. H&S or Flo-pro, both with a MBRP muffler. I guess my question is which of these brands has better hangers, clamps, ect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts