Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i got some Q's this is somewhat related to my cummins in a jeep thread.

okay on with my questions, what all would i need to go along with my 4cly as in turbo wise? (Now as a side note im not planning on getting all the power i can. since its gona be a trail jeep/ weekend driver.)

and what would be the best tranny to put with it? i do not want an automatice.. and also will my stock NP231t-case hold up to this motor? if not i got a t-case out of a late 70's bronco i could use.

and last Q can i turn the pump up on these and add a fuel plate to it?

thanks in advance and this will be a fall/winter project so any ideas and or suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
265 Posts
intercooler, necessary piping for the exhasut/intake side and oil and water lines(depending on the type of turboit could have one or the other or both) for the cooling of the turbo

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
The Nv4500 trans is probably the best trans that you can use..
You can ether water to air after cool it or air to air after cool it depending on what kind of engine you get.

As you probably know you would want to try to get one with the p pump instead of the ve pump, best it is easier to get more power of od that pump. If you want to up grade your turbo, if it is a newer 3.9 that is air to air aftercooler, the turbos that bolt onto a 5.9 should bolt on to your 3.9.

Sounds like a fun project good luck.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What would be the best year for the 3.9?? and hopefully i could get turbo and intercooler and all as a package. what about the fuel tank? would i have to put a new tank in or flush the old one? thanks for the info keep it flowing

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
The 3.9 I have in my truck is a 2005. I was told that any turbo that fits a 5.9 should fit my engine. I haven't tried it, but looking a 5.9 and 3.9 exhuast it looks doable. Plus is is pretty easy to make your own manfold. Don't know much about T-cases. Was it behind a 5.9 cummins if so yes, I think the gasser will can't say for sure. I know a lot people build them up.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
I just flushed my old tank out. And let it sit for a week to make sure that everything was out. I cut the wire to the fuel pump in the tank and ran my own fuel lines to the tank from the lift. That way if the lift pump goes bad I don't have to drop the tank.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
t-case is out of my 98 jeep i got a t-case out of a 78 ford bronco that i could use..and i'll do the same with my gas tank...and ive been looking on ebay at the 4bts and there pretty :$: is there any where else i could look? i tried craigslist and they dont have anything..im gona start calling some diesel shops around town this week

·
Registered
22 Posts
the t case youll probally want a gear driven case, that way you dont have to worry about a chain streching under preassure. the best bet would be a np 205 or if you can find one a (dana 300 i have one in my jeep and its pertty much bullet proof.)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dana 300 gets :$: though ive looked at them i might stick with the tcase out of the bronco i know its gear driven

1 - 12 of 12 Posts