Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody else hate having 4.10 gears? My truck is so slow and I don't even need them. Ahh! It makes me mad probably once a week when I want to go fast or need to get somewhere:banghead:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've got the 4:10's and wish I had the 3:54 especially when pulling a hill, I have to take it out of od then I can only go about 45 to 50 mph, I guess I just have to be patient.

Kevin

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im with you guys, right when I have the money I am going to see if I can swap them.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Ya gotta love the 3.54 gears. Still not fast but hey I get good mileage and can go 75+

·
Registered
174 Posts
you have to take it out of overdrive with 4.10's??? must be a big load... I've actually been thinkin of goin to 4.10's to help turn my heavy tires and take some strain off my drive train..

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Put bigger tires on and your rpms drop and you pick up some highway mileage and speed.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put bigger tires on and your rpms drop and you pick up some highway mileage and speed.
I've actually been thinkin of goin to 4.10's to help turn my heavy tires and take some strain off my drive train..
Thats what I thought. Hell with changing gears, I want to put 38's under it! That should help:hehe:

·
Registered
174 Posts
you should be able to pull the heck out of a sled with the dual disk, 4x4, and 4.10's if you ever wanted to... haha...

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Thats what I thought. Hell with changing gears, I want to put 38's under it! That should help:hehe:
That's for sure. I went to 315's (like 35" approx) and my rpms on the highway dropped 200 from where is was at with 285's (33").

·
Smells like Bananas
7,247 Posts
I had the 4.10's in my 96', I could not stand them too many rpms at 70 mph. I went to Randys Ring and Pinion and bought yukon's 3.54 gears and master rebuild kits for both axles. I want to say it was between 650 and 750 for all of the parts. I alomost wonder if I should have done 3.42's but either way I love the 3.54's over the 4.10's any day

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well this could be my problem but I don't have gauges yet so I keep it under 2250 rpm...which is close to 50 mph for me:hehe:

But yea I pull most mountains around here in 5th gear...it's rediculous! I feel like nothing could stop me though:confused013:

Today was just one of those days when my gearing got the best of me:S:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I had the 4.10's in my 96', I could not stand them too many rpms at 70 mph. I went to Randys Ring and Pinion and bought yukon's 3.54 gears and master rebuild kits for both axles. I want to say it was between 650 and 750 for all of the parts. I alomost wonder if I should have done 3.42's but either way I love the 3.54's over the 4.10's any day
Is it true that the carrier itself is different between a diff with 4.10's and a diff with 3.55's?
Thought i read that somewhere. Always wonder why?
I went from 3.55's to 4.10's in my mustang with an 8.8 rear and was the same carrier.

·
Registered
245 Posts
you have to take it out of overdrive with 4.10's??? must be a big load... I've actually been thinkin of goin to 4.10's to help turn my heavy tires and take some strain off my drive train..
It will keep pulling but I'm afraid of hurting the tranny in od, everything is stock except I slid the stock plate forward and a boost elbow. That's pulling a 4000# camper and a car trailer with a race car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
o sorry didn't pay attention to you having a auto... i understand now, your just bein safe.. got ya...

·
Registered
898 Posts
i got 4:10 and still haul with little mods and no o/d<----haha it sucks

·
Registered
174 Posts
i don't mind cruisin at 60-65 so i guess thats why i wouldn't mind havin the 4.10's.. and i live in town so 5 days out of the week i barely get into overdrive.. anyone have 3.73's in their truck?? would maybe be a happy medium..

·
Registered
206 Posts
We need a 4.10 depression club.

I avoid the freeway as much as possible since anything above 60 is just spinning 2000+....Cant stand it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm not a big fan of 4.10 ratio in my truck because of the speed the engine spins at on the highway. I've been thinkin about goin to 3.73 if it's possible to try and get the best of both worlds, towing and fuel econmy. My other choice is to get a overdrive unit for the back of the tranny but i dont know how well they handle big power and there compatibility with 4x4.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Got 'em too. i hated them also with 33" tires. Now with 35's I'm happy with the ratio. 35's and 4.10 seems to work pretty well. rpms at 70 aren't too bad and it isn't geared so high that towing is a problem. Don't feel bad guys, just need to point out to the home accountant that tires would be cheaper and easier than new gears

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Funny I like my 4.10s. Tow what ever I want at 75 fifth gear all day long, out crawl jeeps up steep off road tracks. Spank the old fart in the mustang or camaro at the light.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts