Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3500 dually 6.7L. I tow heavy loads on a daily basis (20k +). My dually came equipped with 3.73 and I am looking @ installing 4.10 gears. If anyone has 4.10 gears in the 6.7L please let me know or if anyone has input that is appreciated as well. Thanks. Jeremiah

· Registered
1,592 Posts
I have a 3500 dually 6.7L. I tow heavy loads on a daily basis (20k +). My dually came equipped with 3.73 and I am looking @ installing 4.10 gears. If anyone has 4.10 gears in the 6.7L please let me know or if anyone has input that is appreciated as well. Thanks. Jeremiah
My 6.7 has 4.10s stock its a good combination if u dont mind payin a lil extra for the fuel

· Registered
189 Posts
Depends where you do most of your towing and what transmission do you have. I have a manual trans with 4:10's and wish it had 3:73's for highway towing. I too tow heavy everyday on the highway. Nice thing about 3:73's you can use 5th gear for pulling hills without reving to much

· diesel addict
1,246 Posts
thing is this, final drive in the auto w/ the 3:73 is almost the same as the manual w/ the 4:10's, that why in 09 they're offering a 3:52's for the manuals. I may be mistaken, but thats the impression I got at the dealer, could be really far off base as well ha ha, dam dealers!

· Registered
125 Posts
i have 4.10s and knock on wood havent had any turbo trouble and have 25000 miles and i do alot of towing. i have talked and read on the forum here were people are doing the dpf delete and egr and cooler delete with 4.10s and highway driving getting between 19-21mpg. i just order my delete kit from H&S and plan on removing all of that stuff.

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tow everyday and no way would I give up my 3.73's.
why wouldn't you want 4.10's?

I almost smoked up my tranny last night trying to get over McDonald pass in MT. Tranny temp got up to 280 degress. Had to shut the truck down for 3 hours.

· Banned
706 Posts
why wouldn't you want 4.10's?

I almost smoked up my tranny last night trying to get over McDonald pass in MT. Tranny temp got up to 280 degress. Had to shut the truck down for 3 hours.
Maybe going to bigger truck with a rear axle capacity of 23k or more for your heavy pulling would be more easier.

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe going to bigger truck with a rear axle capacity of 23k or more for your heavy pulling would be more easier.
Load wasn't even that heavy. Had a 24' horse trailer (10,200) and a Ford Ranger (4,000) plus my trailer (8,800). I was pulling 23,000K which really isn't that much. Doesn't help that the Mtn pass is a 7% grade for 9 miles.

· Premium Member
419 Posts
I think the 5500 series has 4.56

· Premium Member
419 Posts
Opps and 19.5 tires that are rated for heavy loads.

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Opps and 19.5 tires that are rated for heavy loads.
My tires are good for the loads (G Rated). I tried to by a split gear from US Gear but they don't make one for the 6.7 6 speed Auto. When I lock the truck in 4 high it does better just having 3.73 and towing heavy is harder on the truck then 4.10.

Not sure how a AS68RE 5500 can have 4.56 gears. Those RPM's would be screaming @ 55mph. I had a truck with 44's and 4.88 gears and before I added the bigger tires it would be @ 3k rpm doing 51mph.

I'm not into killing my truck or abusing it. I was actually surprised that the tranny temp got that hot. I did the smart thing and shut her down before I gernaded the tranny. I do want a suncoast but I want to do it on my terms and not when it's required.

· Pipeliner
767 Posts
i got the 4.10s in mine and i have 35'' toyos and really like the combo!!

· Banned
706 Posts
Load wasn't even that heavy. Had a 24' horse trailer (10,200) and a Ford Ranger (4,000) plus my trailer (8,800). I was pulling 23,000K which really isn't that much. Doesn't help that the Mtn pass is a 7% grade for 9 miles.
Oh, gotcha. I'm seriously thinking bout getting a International 8100 with the M11 cummins. I'm would like to be able to use the goat just for loads under 25,000.

· Banned
706 Posts
I just seen you have the 68RE, my bad. 4.10's may work better for then. I got 3.73 with my G56 and don't have to hard of a time. Unless I'm out in a pasture thats soft, I then have to use 4 low to get going.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.