Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't tow alot and well u bought this truck with the gears in it. After driving my friends 92 it was way nicer. Able to stay in gear longer, ad doesn't scream at 70mph. How much work is it to change

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
this may be a stupid post but if i had 4.10's and wanted lower rpms id probably spend the money on a front end lift and some real tall tires.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
this may be a stupid post but if i had 4.10's and wanted lower rpms id probably spend the money on a front end lift and some real tall tires.
I smell what you're stepping in and think it was a good suggestion, it is another route that could be taken. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm puttin 4" under it but keeping my 305s

·
Registered
207 Posts
i have an auto with 4.10s an top speed bout 70 but i plan on goin with taller tires!

·
Registered
892 Posts
wish i had 4.10s, dragging my toyhauler with 35's and 3.55s kinda sucks after a while.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
How much work is it to change
Depends on the route you go. If you are able to find a complete diff with the gears you want it's not too much work, depending on where you are in relation to the rust belt. Rusted brake lines and spring u-bolts are the worst you'll run into.

If you intended to change out the crown and pinion, that is a much higher skill set and requires some special tools. You can get away without the tools to measure pinion depth by using gear tooth patterns and assembling/disassembling until you have it right, but you do need an inch pound torque wrench to set brg preload and a dial gauge to set backlash. And I wouldn't want to do it without the diff spreader, although it has been done.

In terms of diff setup, with the easiest being a Ford 9" at 1 the Dana's are closer to 10.

Steve g

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It just sucks for highway driving when you can't go faster than 75 without sounding like it's about to blow

·
Registered
207 Posts
yea i wish i had a 4500! it really sucks wen she wont go into od getting on the interstate! i think its tps?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Like someone said, a case spreader is good. You may find you absolutely have to have one of those. On my '98 dually the carrier would not come out without spreading the case. The other thing is the special tool to hold the pinion still while you torque the pinion nut. If I remember right, the torque spec is 450-500 ft/lbs. You won't be doing that with your average 1/2" impact gun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 96 3500 CTD that had 4.10s in it. I put 4.88s in both ft and back. Dident need a spreader. I know them gears are low. But I put a GearVender in it to get my highway gears back. Reason I did this is because I tow an 18000 pound toyhauler. with 37 tires.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I don't tow alot and well u bought this truck with the gears in it. After driving my friends 92 it was way nicer. Able to stay in gear longer, ad doesn't scream at 70mph. How much work is it to change
Just swing by east texas and I will swap you axels :hehe::hehe:. My3.54's kinda suck for towing!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I vote for "not to keep". My 2wd has them and it's miserable on the interstate. It's on my list of things to change, but just going to have to live with it for a while I guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts