Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,127 Posts
As I understand it, yes they finally did. Finally they got rid of the one thing that ruined an otherwise good pickup.
Yet, now some complain about not getting 3.42s.

But, if you for some truly obscure reason still crave an over geared vehicle, the dumb 3.42s are optional on a DRW.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Didn’t they get rid of 3.42s all together for 19? I thought it was 3.73 only for SRW and 3.73 or 4.10 for duallies?
Actually No, they had plenty of DRW’s with 3:42 , very little 3:73 and only 2 with 4:10’s. The dealer salesman was telling me that a lot of people want the 3:42 for trying to get better fuel mileage. He couldn’t understand why I wanted the 4:10’s. I explained to him that I’m not buying a diesel truck for its fuel mileage, just its pulling capabilities and the 4:10 gear ratio is the ticket for me for my company. I have2 01 3500’s with 4:30 gears, I had them changed from the dreaded 3:54’s, and would of bought them if they were available. It’s a great gear for pulling loads! This my opinion though.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Actually No, they had plenty of DRW’s with 3:42 , very little 3:73 and only 2 with 4:10’s. The dealer salesman was telling me that a lot of people want the 3:42 for trying to get better fuel mileage. He couldn’t understand why I wanted the 4:10’s. I explained to him that I’m not buying a diesel truck for its fuel mileage, just its pulling capabilities and the 4:10 gear ratio is the ticket for me for my company. I have2 01 3500’s with 4:30 gears, I had them changed from the dreaded 3:54’s, and would of bought them if they were available. It’s a great gear for pulling loads! This my opinion though.
Both of my Gen 2 Tundras had 4.30. As does my wife’s sequoia. I like that ratio a lot. I will regear this ram down the line and go something low, at least 4.30. I’ve heard good things about 4.88 and 37” shoes

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
As I understand it, yes they finally did. Finally they got rid of the one thing that ruined an otherwise good pickup.
Yet, now some complain about not getting 3.42s.

But, if you for some truly obscure reason still crave an over geared vehicle, the dumb 3.42s are optional on a DRW.
Some people complain just for something to complain about.

·
Registered
12,127 Posts
Both of my Gen 2 Tundras had 4.30. As does my wife’s sequoia. I like that ratio a lot. I will regear this ram down the line and go something low, at least 4.30. I’ve heard good things about 4.88 and 37” shoes
Entirely different power bands, weights, and (probably) tire sizes. I wouldn't want to go by what works great in my Challenger, for example.

And those gears would make 3.42s look good in a Ram.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts