Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 3rd gen 2500 with an Edge ez chip, 4 inch exhaust and BF Goodrich tires.

The thing is that it's to much electronics and to get used to, so I was thinkin about selling it and getting a 1st gen W250 Sweptline Cummins instead, all i use it for is to work and back, bout 8km, sometimes longer distances like 60-70km. So how is the reliability of these old bangers compared to the new?

Also the truck i've found has an auto, and I would very much like to swap it for a manual, is this allot of work? its a 4x4. 1991 model. And i need stacks on a first gen, goes without saying :p any of you guys got measurements?

Regards, Mads

· Registered
709 Posts
I have a 92 with 300k on the ticker. I have towed a 20k lb. trailer a couple of times and when it was still stock i haul a jeep on a trailer with a truck camper on the back from wv to tenn. several times with my foot to the floor the whole way. 90% of the miles has been put on driving back and forth to work and the speedo saying 75 to 80 mph. the reason I'm telling you this is my engine had never been touched since new until it had over 300k. I blew a head gasket about 4 months ago. i am still running stock turbo ( getting ready to change that ). the original transmission lasted to 225k. at 225k i turnede up the pump and the old tranny couldn't take that. my motor still runs like new.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All this sounds good to me! Atleast reliability wise hehe.

How about that auto to manual trans then? It has a 727 3 speed atm, and i'd like the NV4500 on it, no fan of automatics... And over here, every damn american car is an automatic...

· Registered
1,444 Posts
alot of people switch auto for standerd trans, but a lot of people go with a g360 the stick that came with these trucks. try to pm tatersalad he might still have his for sale its out of a 4x4
ch

· Registered
50 Posts
i have 450,000 on mine but went through 3 gentrags and 2 nv4500 now im thinkin of gettin a nv5600 for it only problem was the 32,000lb trailer i tows kinda killed all of them lol

· Registered
50 Posts
my nephew did the conversion from an auto to a nv4500 and he did it in a weekend no problems just need to find a junkyard or donor truck for the pedel and master cylinder

· Registered
59 Posts
Im interested in going manual on my 3rd gen. It is a 2wheel drive hopefully that will make it a bit easier and cheaper. Anyone know what is involved??? Any info is appreciated

· Registered
256 Posts
411,000 miles, 1 getrag, 1 clutch, one front end rebuild, one rear end rebuild. Bunch of small stupid stuff though, like brakes, power steering, etc. If you want a cheap power mod for your first gen that doesn't take you down in mileage much, if any, get an hx-35 turbo off of a 2nd gen off of the classified ads. Mine is awesome! Oh, and is it a 91, or a 91.5. 89-91 trucks have more power, and 91.5-93 trucks were emissions trucks. It doesn't take much to make a later model 1st gen act like a earlier model. hx-35 + pump mods = fun truck ( early or late ) You might also consider 2nd gen 12 valve....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.