Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3rd Gen Steed Speed Manifold Test

Task:
To complete a same day back to back comparison of a stock 3rd Gen 5.9 Cummins manifold vs. a Steed Speed engineered bolt on replacement manifold.

Test Date: 11/8/12

Test Truck: 2005 Dodge 2500 5.9L Common Rail Diesel

Modifications:
-Bosch 100HP Motorsport Injector Nozzles
-Fleece HE351cw 63mm Billet Holset Cheetah Turbo
-Motorsport Diesel Stroker CP3
-Smarty SO-6 Tuning (Lvl 7)

Dyno: DC Chassis Dyno, Brownsburg, IN
-Dyno Jet 224XLC
-Indoor Climate Controlled

Dyno Runs:
Each dyno pull was started at 1300 RPM and ran until 1600 Degrees of Exhaust Gas Temperature.
Each pull would be replicated inside of these two parameters, in order to insure the same start and finish of each run.

Results: Sampled at Maximum output & at 2000 RPM

Base Line with stock Manifold Rating at 2000 RPM
-Max HP 656.79 @ 2950 RPM -HP 338.58
-Max TQ 1316.79 @ 2450 RPM -TQ 889.22

Steed Speed Manifold Rating at 2000 RPM
-Max HP 672.36 @ 3100 RPM -HP 482.82
-Max TQ 1355.20 @ 2300 RPM -TQ 1267.77

Overview:
The test truck was base lined at 11:30 AM Thursday November 8, 2012, with the modifications listed above and a stock 5.9 Cummins exhaust manifold. After installing the Steed Speed manifold the test truck was dynoed again at 4:30 PM November 8, 2012. A brief look at the results shows a decent gain in maximum output; 16 RWHP and 38 RWTQ. However a closer look shows a much broader power curve with peak torque coming in 150 RPM sooner, and peak horsepower carrying out another 150 RPM.

At 2000 RPMs the gains were much more significant, with an increase of 143.24 RWHP and 378.55 RWTQ as seen in the graph below. With the addition of the Steed Speed manifold, without any tuning changes, the truck was capable of pulling a more aggressive load profile on the dyno, whereas with the stock manifold the truck could not. Furthermore because of the apparent increase in flow, the truck was able to pull another 250 RPM before hitting our stopping point of 1600 Degrees, also illustrated in the graph.

On the street, the increase in low end torque and response was immediately noticed, as well as the trucks new distinct sound. EGT’s were down 100-300 degrees in normal “day to day” style driving. Overall the Steed Speed clearly did its job of increasing flow, and making more torque, evident in the graph below. More so the Steed Speed Manifold also reduced Exhaust Gas Temperature

These results are accurate for this particular truck, with the specified modifications installed. Different trucks with different modifications may have different results.

Interesting info....

Paul

Attachments

·
Diesel sniffer
3,801 Posts
Excellent Bro, this is what we need more of! Was this the 2nd gen Steedspeed or are they making a 3rd gen now?

·
Diesel sniffer
3,801 Posts
I don't see a 3rd gen replacement on their site, so I'm assuming it's 2nd gen. Also, he made note of a sound change which is indicative of a 2nd gen swap.
If this is the case, a stock 2nd gen vs. Steedspeed would have been more accurate.
I think everyone will agree that the 2nd gen design is superior.

·
Premium Member
7,081 Posts
D, it's a 3rd gen. Look at the lower right hand corner of the dyno graph, it shows a picture of it.

This must be a new manifold that they are going to start production of.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
It is a 3rd gen manifold, it's the first one built buy steedspeed. I know the guy that owns the truck that was tested. He told me yesterday that he loved it. I'd like to see a comparison between this manifold and a 2nd gen manifold from steedspeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

·
Diesel sniffer
3,801 Posts
Totally missed the pic.....thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That is surprising the manifold swap would make tha much difference in the power curve. Very nice write up. Thanks.

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
11,098 Posts
Nice! Too bad the stock one was in comparison, it would be nice for aftermarket manifolds to go head to head. We see how the stock one compares now.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Nice! Too bad the stock one was in comparison, it would be nice for aftermarket manifolds to go head to head. We see how the stock one compares now.
I would also love to see the comparison of an aftermarket one like BD, ATS, or HTT vs this one. I know I just recently swapped manifold (HTT T4) and turbo (63/68/.91) and feels like even around 2k RPMs my power is a lot better and I would've thought the bigger turbo to add more to my higher RPMs.

That is some insane low end added power though! I was wanting a 3rd gen style steed speed when I got mine, but didn't even know they were working on one. Either way doesn't look to be a T4 yet. Also going 2nd Gen style next time for sure if I ever change anything!!

·
Premium Member
7,071 Posts
I missed some stuff in the past I thought at least for thr 2nd Gen Steed it was known for higher end improvements but sacraficed a bit down low. Spools pretty good with that turbo.

·
Registered
168 Posts
All the possible possible compares that I'd like to see are endless. :D My top would be a stock truck with a tuner (Smarty, Dog, or EFI). Most guys as they build thier trucks end up with tuners far before larger turbos or injectors/ fuel systems. It would be cool to see if putting a manifold on early in the truck build (stock with just a tuner and trans/ clutch) would be cost and power affective.

No matter how you slice it, adding the manifold to the OPs build setup was very affective for the power curve. I'm still impressed looking at that run.

Now I'm looking at it wondering if I'd gain anything with my build. Lol! It's endless!!! :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.