Cummins Diesel Forum banner

3rd Gen Pics Of Exhaust Coming Out In Front Of Rear Wheel

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  1JP 
#1 ·
Just Trying To Get An Idea Of What To Do...thanks

#6 ·
if you want to do it its up to you but from personal experience i iwll tell you its a nightmare. the soot just covers the rocker panels on the bed also i have a black truck adn you can just tell its sooty. if you have aluminum rims it tears them up takes bout 5min to polish front rims adn back drivers side rim adn then take me 25 minutes to do the single rear passengers side. adn it make the tire look really ugly. but i just went from that style of exhaust to stacks and the stacks are queiter than that side exit. but if ya like really loud it nice. good luck

#7 ·
Why would you wanna do that?

#9 ·
Ya I am sorry to agree with these guys...it does look cool and different...but it will really be a pain to keep clean....sorry to burst your bubble...I have wanted to do the same thing myself but ruled it out

#12 ·
yeah those are awesome! i'd go to him and see what he could do for ya, i'd make them functional side steps tho, didn't look like his were setup for it.

#14 ·
Does anyone out there have any pictures of this setup? I was also thinking about doing this.....

#15 · (Edited)
Legality speaking, in most States the exhaust must exit past the passenger compartment of the vehicle. That's why pickups can have stacks and exhaust exit in front of the rear wheels. But, cars it goes to the rear. Putting it through the hood and or out of the fenders on a registered vehicle (again in most states) it would be illegal. Just check into your States motor vehicle laws to see. You should be able to find it Online.

Here's an example from the Connecticut Motor Vehicle Law Title 14

Sec. 14-80. Mechanical equipment.

(d) All pipes carrying exhaust gases from the motor shall be constructed of, and maintained with, leak-proof metal. Exhaust pipes shall be directed from the muffler or mufflers toward the rear of the vehicle and shall be approximately parallel with the longitudinal axis of the vehicle and approximately parallel to the surface of the roadway, or shall be directed from the muffler upward to a location above the cab or body of the vehicle so that fumes, gases and smoke are directed away from the occupants of the vehicle. Exhaust pipes on a passenger vehicle shall extend to the extreme rear end of the vehicle's body, not including the bumper and its attachments to the body, or shall be attached to the vehicle in such a way that the exhaust pipes direct the exhaust gases to either side of the vehicle ensuring that fresh ambient air is located under the vehicle at all times. The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles may adopt regulations in accordance with the provisions of chapter 54 to establish safety standards for passenger vehicles equipped with exhaust pipes located in front of the rear axle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.