Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I’ve been looking around at some “3rd gen kits” lately and have a few questions.
The BD kit is really nice and has the Borg Warner S363 SXE turbo that I want, but I hate that their manifold has EGR ports...
I’ve also seen the Smeding Diesel Kit, but I know nothing about them..
And then there’s Diesel Power Source. Their manifold seems good, but I don’t want their turbo.

so now I’m thinking about putting together my own kitusing the:
BD1045987-T4 manifold
Borg Warner S363 SXE turbo

now I’ve been told that BD mills the back of their S300 turbos to fit the factory down pipe.. so unless I can get the exact turbo they use in the kit, I would need a new down pipe?!

is there a down pipe I could use or a new flange to connect my factory down pipe to a s300 turbo?
77B2AAEE-3785-4F90-B79C-87F380D3994A.jpeg
DA5088D6-F7CA-494C-BC81-D65C69B35E7E.jpeg
15CE173E-B4B7-4B86-9F40-C0ABF1A15201.jpeg

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
These are my exact questions. I have decided on the ironhorn kit. 364.5sxe. I have also decided if i buy another manifold it WILL NOT have egr ports. Thats a deal killer. I imagine its so they can say they don’t offer delete equipment. But, the fixed vane turbo wont work with emissions so the ports make no sense. If it puts the turbo in the third gen spot what is keeping us from using a steed speed manifold with the turbo in that location?
I was just hoping/assuming i could call BD and work it all out and get the right turbo and manifold without egr ports. I also want it tapped for an EGT probe. If this cant be worked out i will go another direction.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
When my egt went, I didn't have time to come up with this answer. BD told me the gen 3 manifold put the turbo about 1 1/4" different than the capped gen 4 manifold so I caved and got their sxe kit and the DP fit but only after moving the welded-on mount a little bit... no biggie. I would also like to know which gen3 manifold/turbo/DP works, just for future reference. BTW, I love my 363/80/.91, for my altitude. Craig

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When my egt went, I didn't have time to come up with this answer. BD told me the gen 3 manifold put the turbo about 1 1/4" different than the capped gen 4 manifold so I caved and got their sxe kit and the DP fit but only after moving the welded-on mount a little bit... no biggie. I would also like to know which gen3 manifold/turbo/DP works, just for future reference. BTW, I love my 363/80/.91, for my altitude. Craig
Ive been in contact with BD as well. And they say their 3rd gen manifold is in a different position.. which doesn’t make sense to me because I thought the 3rd and 4th gen has the turbo in the same exact position.
also, they modify the turbos to fit the factory down pipe flange. Something about a 1/2 Marmon flange?!
All I want is a non VGT turbo and 3rd gen manifold that will bolt up.

·
Clayton @ DDP Motorsports
3,814 Posts
We have sold a few of Smeding Diesels kits and so far the customers have been very happy with the price point and the quality. I have not had any negative reviews as of yet from them. They are always very helpful over the phone as well when we speak to them.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I would think BD should know what to use. I think they told me the gen3 manifold put the turbo 1 1/4" farther forward than the gen4 egr manifold... that must be really tight fitting! Craig

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I would think BD should know what to use. I think they told me the gen3 manifold put the turbo 1 1/4" farther forward than the gen4 egr manifold... that must be really tight fitting! Craig
When you say you moved a welded on mount does that mean you had to cut a weld and reweld? Or does the kit bolt right up. Bolting right up is my second priority.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
We have sold a few of Smeding Diesels kits and so far the customers have been very happy with the price point and the quality. I have not had any negative reviews as of yet from them. They are always very helpful over the phone as well when we speak to them.
Got more info on the Smeding turbo you recommend? I want a box turbo so was leaning 364.5 SXE. I wont do a manifold with ports. I just want a reliable towing turbo. My truck weighs 11,000 before i even hook up the trailer or load the bed.

·
3,814 Posts
Got more info on the Smeding turbo you recommend? I want a box turbo so was leaning 364.5 SXE. I wont do a manifold with ports. I just want a reliable towing turbo. My truck weighs 11,000 before i even hook up the trailer or load the bed.
That is definitely a heavy truck! Yes sir ill be happy to help you with the 364.5 kit. How much are you towing if you don't mind me asking? How much and how often?

The 62-66 kits are the ones customers choose from if they want faster spool up for towing or just daily driving. The bigger sizes will be a little slower on the bottom end but will still spool decently. Normally they will also choose the billet wheel along with the 360* bearing to get the most they can out of it.

The kit comes with everything below.

Kit includes:
Turbocharger with divided exhaust housing.
Exhaust Manifold
Exhaust Manifold Gaskets & Installation Bolts
Coolant Plugs
Oil Drain Extension
Turbo drain gasket
No other hardware required for a proper install.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the Smeding kit, but I don’t like how their manifold isn’t coated... Just being picky, but I don’t want a a rusty manifold!

I want a ATS or Steed Speed Manifold with a S300 SXE turbo...
I wish I could buy BD’s or Smeding’s turbo and use my own manifold

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
I like the Smeding kit, but I don’t like how their manifold isn’t coated... Just being picky, but I don’t want a a rusty manifold!

Put a manifold blanket on it. And also on the turbo. Looks nice and added benefits.

·
3,814 Posts

Yeah, that is definitely a down side. We can definitely get you set up with a steed speed. I just ordered 4 today but sadly they are still 7 weeks out give or take.....

If you do get the smeding, there are places that can coat it but i am not sure the cost on that.

Clayton

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I buy a Steed Speed or ATS manifold with a T4 flange is there a certain turbo I should get?
I want a Borg Warner S300 SXE.
Do you know what exhaust flange the stock down pipe uses? Is it a full marmon?

I really like the ATS 2 piece manifold and either a S363 or 364 turbo. I just want to make sure I can mount an S300 turbo on my down pipe.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That 1045987 is a gen 3, 5.9 manifold. If it's true that the gen3 and 4 manifolds position the turbo differently, you may run into other problems. Only trying to help, really... Craig

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I’m gonna go with the Smeding Diesel kit!

Now to choose turbo size...

1. Billet or Cast? The Billet is the SXE turbo.

2. 63, 64.5 or 66? Why is the 64.5 more expensive than the 66?

3. Standard or heavy Duty thrust bearing? If it’s just a daily driver and I don’t haul/tow heavy loads is the Heavy Duty even needed?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I may be wrong. I looked into Smeding and they are 45 minutes from my house. I decided on using them until i read the reviews. If I understand the reviews and their website they build an SXE type turbo. Its not the Borgwarner box turbo. Its built in house with the cheapest parts available. Its not a box turbo. They use Chinese bearings and housings. Some people have good luck. Many don’t. I have bad luck so am interested in what your experiences are. I don’t want a shop built turbo where human error and bad parts could prevail.
Why is it so crazy difficult to get a box Borgwarner 364.5 SXE with a non EGR port manifold. Crazy.
If they use an actual Borgwarner turbo why wont the Borgwarner bolt to their Smeding manifold?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may be wrong. I looked into Smeding and they are 45 minutes from my house. I decided on using them until i read the reviews. If I understand the reviews and their website they build an SXE type turbo. Its not the Borgwarner box turbo. Its built in house with the cheapest parts available. Its not a box turbo. They use Chinese bearings and housings. Some people have good luck. Many don’t. I have bad luck so am interested in what your experiences are. I don’t want a shop built turbo where human error and bad parts could prevail.
Why is it so crazy difficult to get a box Borgwarner 364.5 SXE with a non EGR port manifold. Crazy.
If they use an actual Borgwarner turbo why wont the Borgwarner bolt to their Smeding manifold?
I haven’t heard/seen any bad reviews yet. I just haven’t heard of Smeding until a month ago. They issue isn’t bolting up to a manifold. The issue I’m seeing is bolting up to the factory down pipe.
Apparently BD and Smeding and maybe others mill out the turbo flange to fit the downpipe.

I really want the BD kit, but I don’t want their manifold...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I haven’t heard/seen any bad reviews yet. I just haven’t heard of Smeding until a month ago. They issue isn’t bolting up to a manifold. The issue I’m seeing is bolting up to the factory down pipe.
Apparently BD and Smeding and maybe others mill out the turbo flange to fit the downpipe.

I really want the BD kit, but I don’t want their manifold...
Thats exactly where i am for now. Please let us know how the turbo and manifold from them is. They look good. The reviews just ran me off for now. Hopefully they are baseless reviews. If i cant make this work it will force me into a second gen swap that is a lot more money for not more performance. I like the idea of using as many existing pieces especially with the hunt for modified trucks at this time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats exactly where i am for now. Please let us know how the turbo and manifold from them is. They look good. The reviews just ran me off for now. Hopefully they are baseless reviews. If i cant make this work it will force me into a second gen swap that is a lot more money for not more performance. I like the idea of using as many existing pieces especially with the hunt for modified trucks at this time.
I’m not buying it just yet. Waiting on a local powder coat company to get back to me.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Try agp turbo in Tempe, they machine the turbines for different DPs. I talked to them before my vgt went in 2017 and IIRC they can also start with a sxe center section and build it to suit. 480-401-1515. Craig

Reactions: Jared Herzog
1 - 20 of 20 Posts