Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I bolt an aftermarket 3rd gen exhuast manifold to my 12 valve? I would like to go this route with a 351.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So that I eventually have room for twin hx35's on top! I will eventually need a manifold any way so I just though I would save the trouble of refabbing later and get one now. Would there be much restriction with just bolting them up or should the head or manifold be port matched?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I put a 351 vgt on my 12v manifold, just plugged and redrilled the turbo flange. works better if you flip the manifold because then you can use all for hole to bolt it up. i only have 3 right now not realizing it until i mounted it up opps.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I was thinking of trying to find a 6.7l exhaust manifold to put on my 12v and didn't know if it would fit or not. I was thinking about doing this because it looked like to me that the turbo sits closer to the front of motor and I need a few more inches between my firewall and turbo. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 3rd gen manifolds are more restrictive than the 12v manifolds a lot of 3rd gen guys put 2nd gen manifolds on their trucks for the better flow so I don't see the benefit of going to a 3rd gen manifold.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
596 Posts
It will flow better than a normal 3rd gen manifold but again I don't know if I would do it, there is a reason why 3rd gen guys put 2nd gen manifolds on their trucks, there are a few threads on here about putting a 3rd gen turbo on a 12v you should search them and see what other guys have done, but if you feel that would be the best way to go, do it, other guys have done it successfully thats the cool thing about these trucks there are so many different things to experiment with to make power it is unbelievable. Should be a fun project let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I never thought about a medium duty manifold. I'll look into that.

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
Looks like the mani on the industrial engine i have sitting here...

Anyone have luck using it with twins, flipping the manifold and mounting the secondary up high?

Ive done some measurements and it looks like an hx35 would just barely clear the hood...

smoken, the 24v manifolds will physically interchange. but like mentioned, your dealing with rectangular port heads and a round port manifold. its going to kill flow, even if you hog it out trying to match up the ports a bit better

1 - 14 of 14 Posts