Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a set of chrome clad 3rd gen's? I'm trying to find a set and that's all I can come across. I would prefer the all aluminum but not having much luck. Post some pics up if you have them. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
They made 3 versions.....

Aluminum with machine face
Forged / high polished
Chrome clad

Now the chrome clad, if something goes bad and you peel the skin...The wheel spoke has a line down the center.

The best option if you can find them....are roughly 06-07 forged.
You can tell just by looking, as the slot opening looks slightly different.

I have seen all version on CL....stl, eau claire, minneapolis, and so on...just do some digging.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm up in Canada and I've tried for almost 6mths to find the forged ones with no luck. Like I said, I came across these chrome clad ones and I wanted to see if anyone was using them and some pics of them on a 2nd gen also.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got the chrome clad. Came off a 2006 Mega Cab. They look pretty good, but I am not all that impressed with the durability. They stain pretty easy. I can't seem to find any pics and it is dark out now, so I'll try to take one tomorrow.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks saleenmav much appreciated! Looking forward to the pic!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes they are, I was lucky and got them as take-offs from a dodge dealer with less than 100 miles on them. There's just something I like about having oem parts even if they are off a different year. Thanks! My wife is slightly jealous of the attention it gets.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the pic and info. I think I just might have to settle for the chrome clad's after seeing your truck verk86z. Keep the pics commin' fellas! Much appreciated!

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
I have been running them for 10 years in either. Watch Craig's List. I do not know where you are because you did not fill out your profile and info. There are all over CA and NV right now as low as 200 bucks but some people are unrealistic and will have them for a while.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Depending on condition.....i see 250-600 regullarly.

600 is too high for me, unless i find a PRIMO set of forged...

but usually anything over 350, someone is trying to get something out of the JUNK tires that are still mounted.

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
How much is aluminum alloy a pound?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I paid 80 bucks about a year and a half ago for alloys in excellent shape. It did take a couple years and first one to answer a Craigs list add to find a set at that price. :thumbup: :thumbup: Most guys seem to think they are worth as much or more than what they paid for the wheels they replaced them with. :shock: :confused013:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just bought a set of the chrome steel 3rd gen wheels. What lug nuts do I need so I can use the center caps? I got a set of standard a-corn style off ebay and they were the wrong type.

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
The third gen caps are not deep enough for the hubs on the rear of your truck. You have to use your old caps. Also in 10 to12 somewhere they went to a metric thread lug nut, so be careful there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The third gen caps are not deep enough for the hubs on the rear of your truck. You have to use your old caps. Also in 10 to12 somewhere they went to a metric thread lug nut, so be careful there.
The center caps fit on my 01 :confused013:

Reactions: Stormin08

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
Well maybe it is just 4th gen caps then that will not fit. When ever they changed axles away from Dana is when I expect it happened. I know 12 caps would not fit my 99.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have 2 sets of the forged rims, for winter and summer. They fit just fine over my hub along with the center caps that came with them. I paid 200$ for one set and 300$ for the others I think.

Reid

·
Registered
189 Posts
The center caps I have fit over the hub fine. My issue is they have nothing to hold them on.I'm assuming they are suppose to be held by gripping the lug nuts but the ones I bought have too small of a diameter. What size do I need and are they suppose to have some sort of lip on them?

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
If they are original dodge nuts the should work, aftermarket probably not. You can buy then at any parts house.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts