Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going crazy with my 2004 ram 2500 4x4 . I have replaced my batteries, battery cables and grounds and alternator. I still have a charging issue.
my truck will intermittently not charge on start up. The truck will charge but only after turning off the truck and restarting it once or twice or if the truck is driven a short distance. ( ie: city block)
After it starts charging it will continue to operate normally until shut off then the games on again.
The truck has been scanned and has no fault codes.
Any ideas??? My thought now is maybe a ECM but I don' t want to throw any more money at it.
The alternator was replaced by a mechanic that thought it had a intermittent fielding issue.

·
Trying to learn
5,424 Posts
How are you determining that it is not charging?
If only going on the cluster gauge, you may not have the issue you think.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Yep like tryNto said need to check with real meter / monitor obd data.
If still issue I would try
Check for ECM codes??
Check for EMIC(cluster ) codes ?
Voltage drop test of battery and alternator circuits?
Check EVR circuit that goes from alternator to ECM?
Perform amp draw test when issue happens ? could be something shorting out draining battery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 05 doesn't kick into full charging mode until I drive the truck at around 20mph after a cold start. Always done it. I figured it has something to do with the grid heater.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I am going crazy with my 2004 ram 2500 4x4 . I have replaced my batteries, battery cables and grounds and alternator. I still have a charging issue.
my truck will intermittently not charge on start up. The truck will charge but only after turning off the truck and restarting it once or twice or if the truck is driven a short distance. ( ie: city block)
After it starts charging it will continue to operate normally until shut off then the games on again.
The truck has been scanned and has no fault codes.
Any ideas??? My thought now is maybe a ECM but I don' t want to throw any more money at it.
The alternator was replaced by a mechanic that thought it had a intermittent fielding issue.
Does the needle cycle back and forth the first 3 minutes? It may be that your alternator is indeed charging, but the draw on your grid heater is drawing more then the alternator produces (which is normal). Grid heater operates on these trucks any temp below 69°F for roughly 3 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the ideas . I was out of town for a couple days and just was able to check the forum. You may be correct about the grid heater I had not thought about that .
The needle does not fluctuate , it only shows discharge until it starts charging or I shut the truck off and restart it.
There are no codes in the Ecm or the cluster. I drove it out of town the last couple days and put about 600 miles on it. I had the same results every day upon start up except yesterdat when it worked fine right off the start.

·
Trying to learn
5,424 Posts
Next time you start and it shows discharge, leave it running and then check voltage at Pass. side battery and then the alternator. Post results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts