Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

3rd gen brakes on 2nd gen

2582 Views 14 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  JasonblkZ06
Ok so im wanting to upgrade my brakes especially with my 22.5's. What all do i need to buy as far as putting the new bigger brakes from the newer trucks on mine. What needs to be replaced...ect. Any input is greatly apreciatted
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
9,857 Posts
swap axles? lol that would probably be the easiest way...

· Registered
300 Posts
the info is out there, and because yours is an '01 i know it can be done to your truck.

Did you try searching on here? I have the info bookedmarked at home... i want to say all you will need is the caliper brackets and larger rotor from a newer year, but dont quote me on it.

· Registered
814 Posts
Anyone else make stainless front brake lines? I am about to do the front brakes and would like to replace the lines too. I have only found one brand and they were astronomical what they wanted for them.

· Registered
5,648 Posts

· Registered
814 Posts
This is the most unbelievably easy upgrade with the most amazing results. I will be posting soon on my install.

· Registered
814 Posts
How much does it cost for parts?
$74 - 3rd gen caliper brackets
$79 - HAWK 3rd gen brake pads
$200 - Brembo 3rd gen rotors
$6 - 2 cans of brake Clean
$24 - 2 cans of Superblue racing brake fluid

This is what I went with.

· Registered
5,648 Posts
How much does it cost for parts?

Call any parts house of your choice, ask for caliper brackets, 03-08 rotors and pads for a 2500 dodge ram.

I think I listed my parts somewhere but as I recall (just going to round numbers)

brackets 24 & 60 different $ for L &R dont know why
Pads were 50$ (local partsd house cermaic)
Rotors were 75$ each

2 sets of 17 rims 200$

· Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
$74 - 3rd gen caliper brackets
$79 - HAWK 3rd gen brake pads
$200 - Brembo 3rd gen rotors
$6 - 2 cans of brake Clean
$24 - 2 cans of Superblue racing brake fluid

This is what I went with.
Are those drilled/slotted rotors? Also where did you buy yourparts

· Registered
814 Posts
Are those drilled/slotted rotors? Also where did you buy yourparts
No, plain rotors, I did not want drilled or slotted. There is no need, these things are massive, hold plenty of heat and vent just fine. I will be turning them at least 2 times later on. Slotted might be ok, but I never buy drilled rotors.

I got my parts from Tirerack. Pads were $74, not $79.

· Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i figured the drilled/slotted rotors would be better for the rolling mass of my semi wheels and tires. Or would regular rotors with hawk pads be better

· Registered
814 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get drilled. I guess slotted are ok, but in my opinion are not needed. These things are so overkill it is funny. The Hawk pads have a cutout in the middle that the factory ones did not have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.