Cummins Diesel Forum banner

3rd gear towing in the mounains with NV4500

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  dauntless89 
#1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone has done much of this? I used to tow a 650G Case dozer with the NV4500 and it was a boat anchor but this was on the plains where you can get into 4th. Here in the mountains, we have the mountain passes and you can be stuck in 3rd for 5 miles. Will this trash 3rd gear and/or overheat the oil?

#2 ·
Every gear in a NV4500 is on the countershaft except 4th. IOW, a lot more bearings and piece parts are stressed in 3rd. Back when I had a 5 speed,and I was forced to drop into 3rd I would limit my engine RPM to 2000 and boost to 20 or so and live with the slow speed.

#3 ·
Question...

mostly for my education,

but has anyone in a similar situation considered disconnecting the CAD to avoid 4wd and then shifted to low range on the transfer case so you can likely tow in 4th gear (direct drive) especially considering the example of 5 mile grades. I know going to 5th in low range would likely give more problems than being in 3rd (high range).

Not wanting to cause controversy, I'm just curious if anyone has done this or what others would think about it.

#4 ·
4th gear, low range with 2wd lock-out may be an option. I think the ratio would be 2.71:1 which would be lower than 3rd gear in high range. Its a little slow but better than toasting 3rd pulling a mountain pass.

#5 ·
in the spring when we are pulling ayd wagons we run transfer case in low with hubs unlocked all the time. ( my 94 has ford hubs) we never get over 25 mph with wagons. it is much easer on the clutch imo. we have never had a problem. we do run with hubs locked in on gravel roads, if not we cant pull wagons up hills.

#7 ·
I've hauled pretty heavy loads up decent grades. While I dont go whole hog in any gear while towing except fourth, I have had the pedal depressed quite a bit in third. If your not hauling for hire, and your the weekend warrior type I would just do what you need to do and dont think twice. The only gear I am graceful in is fifth.
Its never necessary for me to give 100% throttle except in fourth. I stick to the 20psi rule for fifth.

#8 ·
After (of course) I bought my truck, I noticed that the holes in the trailer hitch where the pin goes through were deformed from pulling something. My guess is he used 3rd gear a lot because a short time later, a tooth broke during a very routine shift from a stop sign. Not sure it there is a real cause and effect, but sure seems that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.