Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing alot about a third gear boost launch out of a manual trans... how is this performed, anything bad about it? just want some info so i can try it once hahahaha:peelout:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
does anybody know anything?

·
Registered
97 Posts
i tried it in my dually i must not have been doing it right cause it melted the clutch, but the truck also had 200k on it but when it left it left hard, i only had a van aken smartbox and afe intake so from the looks of it your truck would leave pretty hard

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are the instructions on performing this operation? I really wanna try it. My buddie has an auto and boost launches at 15pounds, thats how he always beats me when we race, I would love to learn how to do this and suprise him big time!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have tried it once and smoked the hell outta my stock clutch:lol3:.....need aftermarket clutch if i was guessing.......
:rof:rofI can already see me frying mine:rof:rof

·
Cummins Fanatic
880 Posts
I don't think I would even attempt it with a stock clutch! Although, I'm not sure if I have a stock clutch or not. I've never been in it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Well I wouldn't suggest trying it with the stock clutch...AT ALL. Thats just asking to replace it. But are you wanting to lay rubber or are you talking about just getting the rpm's high enough to to stick and haul it?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I can also say dont try it with stock clutch or you will be putting a new one in sooner than later its not even recommended on a aftermarket single disk. You really need to have a dual disk to be able to do it well and for it to survive.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I do 2nd gear launches...but boosted launches....haven't had one yet...Don't do it with a stock clutch!!!...I rev to about 1300rpm and pop the clutch...but boost isn't immediate..takes a sec. not like an auto.. where you can stand on the brake and get boost up before breaking the tires loose...Curious here also how to accomplish a boosted launch on a man trans...I imagine you have to have some sort of wastegate fooling or adjustment...so you can build boost with out it in gear.....

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, I understand I shouldnt do it, but I plan on a dual disk within a month or 2, just want to try it now. Any instructions... I want to hook up. I would guess i should be in 4 high, 3rd gear... then what?

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
to build boost you have to load the engine, and the only way to do that with a manual is to bring up the rpms and while holding the brake slowly let out the clutch enough to load the engine and build boost.

Basically smoke the clutch till you have boost and giver chit...

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
You have to work all 3 pedals at the same time. Throttle and Brake with your right foot and clutch with you left. Hold the Brake, Give it throttle with your toe and slowly start to let the clutch out but hold the brake until it starts to lug the engine and build boost. From there Let her go and hold on. (also could end up having to pick up pieces out of the middle of the road - KABOOM!) :D

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I do 4th gear boosted launches in mine :) I don't lift off the clutch until I see over 40PSI....

Just go full throttle, then let the clutch out some until boost starts coming up, then let the clutch out more, and more, until you finally just lift your foot off the pedal.

I'll get a video of it.

A factory clutch won't handle a 3rd gear launch, even more a boosted launch, you'll be alot slower boosting a 3rd gear launch than a high RPM clutch drop in 2nd.

If you aren't pushing 400+rwhp, trying to do a boosted 3rd gear launch is just a step backwards. Use RPM and inertia of the engine (rotating assembly) to get scooted off the line. Lots of throttle, lots of RPM and just slip off teh clutch. You'll find a sweet spot to dump the clutch at to avoid too much wheel spin...

Merrick

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
You have to work all 3 pedals at the same time. Throttle and Brake with your right foot and clutch with you left. Hold the Brake, Give it throttle with your toe and slowly start to let the clutch out but hold the brake until it starts to lug the engine and build boost. From there Let her go and hold on. (also could end up having to pick up pieces out of the middle of the road - KABOOM!) :D
Good advice, and words of wisdom about the parts, LOL Luckily I've always been able to limp home...

Don't forget the brake if you are going to be involved in a race... I never have built boost on the line,, I can't work 3 pedals, LOL.

Here's a redline clutch drop with a South Bend Clutch Con OFE. 450rwhp 900rwtq.

Click here to see Video

Merrick

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
Very sweet video. I am not sure i have ever seen a dually do that.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good advice, and words of wisdom about the parts, LOL Luckily I've always been able to limp home...

Don't forget the brake if you are going to be involved in a race... I never have built boost on the line,, I can't work 3 pedals, LOL.

Here's a redline clutch drop with a South Bend Clutch Con OFE. 450rwhp 900rwtq.

Click here to see Video

Merrick
Im actually thinking thats as hard as I would ever be on my clutch. dont think I want to pick up peices from a 3rd gear boost launch, and im sure even a dual disk couldnt handle that much slippage for too long or too many times.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do 4th gear boosted launches in mine :) I don't lift off the clutch until I see over 40PSI....

Just go full throttle, then let the clutch out some until boost starts coming up, then let the clutch out more, and more, until you finally just lift your foot off the pedal.

I'll get a video of it.

A factory clutch won't handle a 3rd gear launch, even more a boosted launch, you'll be alot slower boosting a 3rd gear launch than a high RPM clutch drop in 2nd.

If you aren't pushing 400+rwhp, trying to do a boosted 3rd gear launch is just a step backwards. Use RPM and inertia of the engine (rotating assembly) to get scooted off the line. Lots of throttle, lots of RPM and just slip off teh clutch. You'll find a sweet spot to dump the clutch at to avoid too much wheel spin...

Merrick
a video would be badd:butt::thumbsup:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 65 Posts