Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, looking for opinions whether a 3 or 4k spring kit with 60lb valve springs would be beneficial to a mostly stock engine and transmission. Just looking for a little more performance.
thx

·
Registered
897 Posts
From what recall, both springs will make your throttle more responsive, the 4k noticeably so. I bought a truck with a 3k in it and added the springs to make it a 4k for the throttle response. I don't know how much of a power increase there is, but having the truck not fall on its face and quit accelerating around 2500-2800 rpm was absolutely worth it.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I haven't noticed any additional throttle response in any of the three engines I've put a 4K GSK in. Perhaps the different HP rated pumps respond to them differently in that regard IDK.

What I have noticed is the governor no longer pulling fuel at 25000-ish RPM causing the truck to nose over when trying to merge on the interstate in traffic. It may not be as beneficial to an automatic trans truck , but in an NV4500 manual truck there is a big gear spread between 3rd and 4th gear. Having a 4K GSK just makes the truck easier to drive as you can pull a little higher in 3rd (and the engine will still be fueling / making power) before shifting into 4th.

Reactions: 24hrsparkey

·
Vendor
8,993 Posts
If you have the 60# springs do the 4k springs. We have our own kit with stainless steel pedestals that are machined to the optimum height -- so I am partial to it.

We also have a smoother driving 5k spring that I developed, They drive similar to the 4k springs.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I currently have 4k springs in my truck. It can be super miserable to drive while towing. If I hit bumps at higher rpm’s the truck turns into a bucking bronc. I’ve loosened them a few times but I’ll most likely be going back to 3ks at some point. Not sure if it’s the same with an auto trans

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I’m wondering if you have something wrong with your suspension then.

I tow on the regular with a manual transmission truck and a 4K GSK, never had a bucking bronco effect.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
I sometimes get that governor spring bounce when accelerating with a heavy trailer. It only happens in a narrow RPM band. I either have to floor board it, or let off and try again. It was worse with my 3k springs than the stock springs, but the other day it happened again so I think my stock springs have about timed out. The fix is to back them off a click, but you can only back them off so far.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the comments, I'm hoping a member with an automatic will chime in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts