Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ok but how about the GCWR, that is weight of truck and trailer together. Exceeding that is a problem from what I have read.
And many states you have to register your truck to the max weight allowed. (In Virginia). If I registered it as a car (not getting a truck plate), I could not legally tow the max GCWR. So they actually handed us plates that say on them 'truck'. And that costs me a lot more every year. I have a 3500 dually year 2005 4x4 4dr long bed.
I know what GCWR stands for. Id have to ask a contact regarding enforcement for exceeding GCWR. I'm not saying a driver can't be cited for exceeding it, but given the variances when it comes to gearing and such on our level trucks I don't think that's something they would look at, i.e. a 4:10 geared truck can tow a 30,000 trailer, a 3:73 truck can also tow that trailer but it might only be rated for 27000 trailer. I didn't work commercial, and researched and dealt with things that were at the level I worked. Similar here when it comes to registration. Up to a certain weight GVWR (11500 I think) the weight fees are included, over that weight, then there is a scale based on set weight ranges.

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
Ok but how about the GCWR, that is weight of truck and trailer together. Exceeding that is a problem from what I have read.
And many states you have to register your truck to the max weight allowed. (In Virginia). If I registered it as a car (not getting a truck plate), I could not legally tow the max GCWR. So they actually handed us plates that say on them 'truck'. And that costs me a lot more every year. I have a 3500 dually year 2005 4x4 4dr long bed.
GCWR is the total of the GVWR of the tow vehicle and the GVWR of the trailer. (NOTE: The R is for RATING) That is it, nothing magical, it doesn't vary state by state or country to country. About the only time it is relevant is when the numbers add up to over 26,000. It is only a problem if you don't have the proper drivers license, something that is easily researched. CA has their own set of rules concerning class A drivers licenses for non-commercial combos that only affect the residents of CA. Briefly the 26,000 pound GCWR has been totally ignored.

Registration is a totally different animal and has nothing to do with the manufacturer's ratings. In TX I can register my pickup for as much (or as little) as I please as long as I'm willing to pay the fee. The state doesn't care, nor does DOT anywhere that I have been, what the "published numbers from the manufacture that says what the vehicle can tow" are. The only place that I know of that gives any attention to manufacturer's ratings is British Columbia. VA might, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
712 Posts

Registration is a totally different animal and has nothing to do with the manufacturer's ratings. In TX I can register my pickup for as much (or as little) as I please as long as I'm willing to pay the fee. The state doesn't care, nor does DOT anywhere that I have been, what the "published numbers from the manufacture that says what the vehicle can tow" are. The only place that I know of that gives any attention to manufacturer's ratings is British Columbia. VA might, but I doubt it.
Yup.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/CVSE/references_publications/pdf/MV3231(082003)GVWR.pdf

·
Registered
15,072 Posts
The state doesn't care, nor does DOT anywhere that I have been, what the "published numbers from the manufacture that says what the vehicle can tow" are.
Much like the majority of 2500 owners, it seems like.

Reactions: Bolo4u

·
Registered
243 Posts
Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
454 Posts
GCWR is the total of the GVWR of the tow vehicle and the GVWR of the trailer. (NOTE: The R is for RATING) That is it, nothing magical, it doesn't vary state by state or country to country. About the only time it is relevant is when the numbers add up to over 26,000. It is only a problem if you don't have the proper drivers license, something that is easily researched. CA has their own set of rules concerning class A drivers licenses for non-commercial combos that only affect the residents of CA. Briefly the 26,000 pound GCWR has been totally ignored.

I already hashed this whole subject out about exceeding the GCWR and also improper truck registration for weight on several RV trailer forums with people experienced in this very subject. And it is what I said earlier. They can force you onto scales and if your overweight, there is a big fine and it increases as the overage goes up. And they will look up what your truck GCWR sticker says, (or in their book), AND what weights are recorded on you vehicle registration for you to be able to legally tow that weight down their roads..

I even found all this on the DMV website and the fines table. I also found the enforcement can be selective!, the police can either choose to pursue this or leave you alone. And other thing, you can drive past the truck weight scales in most states unless you are commercial, but not ALL states, again it is very selective. You have to know which states require you to stop. Other problem, some states require you to stop, regardless of being commercial or not, but when you do it makes all the truckers furious and also the state weight operator gets mad at you.

I think my trucks GCWV is 21,000 lbs. But I also had to register my truck to show a 12,000 GVWR on the registration, cause If I tow a heavy trailer and had registered the truck at a lower GVWR, say 10,000 lbs and a lower GCWR, I can be cited and fined if I exceed that number. I dont recall every exacting detail, but the RV forum overwhelmingly knew these things and said can be a big problem being overweight for your registration if they want to make it one.

·
Registered
15,072 Posts
I also found the enforcement can be selective!, the police can either choose to pursue this or leave you alone. And other thing, you can drive past the truck weight scales in most states unless you are commercial, but not ALL states, again it is very selective.
True. Some people deserve a ticket for the way they act. Can't blame LEOs for handing them out.

Technically I should stop at the scales in my and a neighboring state (and surely in CA) when driving my 14+26K combo, but so far they've been closed.

Sometimes I almost think that they remember my Peterbilt RV combo and just don't want to have to deal with me again, so they turn on the "Closed" sign.
I did get "get out of jail free" letters from three states when using that setup.

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
I already hashed this whole subject out about exceeding the GCWR and also improper truck registration for weight on several RV trailer forums with people experienced in this very subject. And it is what I said earlier. They can force you onto scales and if your overweight, there is a big fine and it increases as the overage goes up. And they will look up what your truck GCWR sticker says, (or in their book), AND what weights are recorded on you vehicle registration for you to be able to legally tow that weight down their roads..
You are speaking about registered weight. Yes, if you exceed it, and get caught in Virginia (since the other states don't enforce VA's registration weights) you will pay a fine. There isn't a GCWR sticker anywhere on your vehicle that was put there by the manufacturer. I've pulled trailers into, out of and through VA on multiple occasions. Virtually every time I was in excess of the Dodge GCWR of 20,000, and on several occasions I was in excess of the GVWR that IS on a sticker.. I drove through the weigh stations when they were open because I was commercial. I was never worried because I knew I was totally legal.

There is a plethora of false information on the RV forums that is spread by the self appointed weight police. Yes, truckers do get annoyed when non-commercial vehicles get in line and slow them down, and rightly so. The next time someone posts that there are states that require a non-commercial rig to cross the scales I suggest you ask them which states. You will hear crickets. You might hear Nebraska, but the signs clearly exempt RVs. I suggest you stop at a weigh station some time and ask one of the LEOs about some of the things you believe to be real.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for the reply and the info. But I think I've decided to get a bumper pull enclosed car hauler. Found a new 8.5x23ft with 5200 axles for 7700. That way if it's a lighter load I can use my Escalade to tow it.

·
Registered
15,072 Posts
That sounds a bit cheap for a decent trailer to me. What brand and model, if you don't mind?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I didnt get the brand while I was in the shop. It was one of the only local trailer dealers around and they were busy. They also had another 23' for 8200 and a 26' for 8900

·
Registered
243 Posts
You are speaking about registered weight. Yes, if you exceed it, and get caught in Virginia (since the other states don't enforce VA's registration weights) you will pay a fine. There isn't a GCWR sticker anywhere on your vehicle that was put there by the manufacturer. I've pulled trailers into, out of and through VA on multiple occasions. Virtually every time I was in excess of the Dodge GCWR of 20,000, and on several occasions I was in excess of the GVWR that IS on a sticker.. I drove through the weigh stations when they were open because I was commercial. I was never worried because I knew I was totally legal.

There is a plethora of false information on the RV forums that is spread by the self appointed weight police. Yes, truckers do get annoyed when non-commercial vehicles get in line and slow them down, and rightly so. The next time someone posts that there are states that require a non-commercial rig to cross the scales I suggest you ask them which states. You will hear crickets. You might hear Nebraska, but the signs clearly exempt RVs. I suggest you stop at a weigh station some time and ask one of the LEOs about some of the things you believe to be real.
Enjoy reading, especially the "Do these vehicles have to stop at the scales" section... https://dot.ca.gov/programs/traffic-operations/legal-truck-access/weigh-stations

Summary: Pickup trucks over 11500 GVWR and over 8001 unladen weight, or not equipped with an open box type bed ARE (technically) required to stop. Rental trucks are also required to stop.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
15,072 Posts
I didnt get the brand while I was in the shop. It was one of the only local trailer dealers around and they were busy. They also had another 23' for 8200 and a 26' for 8900
One reason I asked is that there are 23-footers with 3,500-lb. axles, for example.
Unless the vehicles you want to haul in the trailer are very light, you may want to go with 5,200-lb. axles.

Okay, I'd go with the better axles no matter what. The price difference for the stronger parts is minimal.

Reactions: Jaysz28

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The guy at the counter said both 23' trailers had the 5200# axles. I'm not sure on why there was a price difference. Didnt have time to ask too many questions while I was there. Was just seeing what they had.

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
Enjoy reading, especially the "Do these vehicles have to stop at the scales" section... https://dot.ca.gov/programs/traffic-operations/legal-truck-access/weigh-stations

Summary: Pickup trucks over 11500 GVWR and over 8001 unladen weight, or not equipped with an open box type bed ARE (technically) required to stop. Rental trucks are also required to stop.
Good grief. The whole article is about commercial vehicles. Just about every duelly made now days has a GVWR over 11,500 and weigh over 8001 pounds. I have the misfortune of having to travel into CA on a regular basis. The scales there are not clogged with non-commercial vehicles. It is the misinterpretation of of simple rules that are the basis of the myths that are generated in forums. In the case of the RV forums it is the sightings of RV transporters, who are commercial, being seen crossing scales that started the myth and keep it going.

·
Registered
648 Posts
My flat bed outfitted Ram 5500 with storage boxes identifies itself as an RV because most of the time it is carrying a truck camper (even though the title and registration still calls it out as a Class 5 truck). The only time I have ever stopped at a weigh station is when they are closed so I can get actual axle weights and adjust my tire pressure accordingly. Unlike some of yours, this truck is for pleasure cruising and never worked a day in its life for pay.

My state charges through the nose for open or enclosed trailers over 10k lbs GTWR, so I have one of those CA special trailers that have axles and frame rated for more than tagged. Adding living facilities to an enclosed or partially enclosed trailer allows you to run heavier without the registration penalty or requirement for driver endorsements, because now the the trailer can be classified as an RV - This will be the route I go next time I need a larger capacity trailer.

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
Thanks for the reply and the info. But I think I've decided to get a bumper pull enclosed car hauler. Found a new 8.5x23ft with 5200 axles for 7700. That way if it's a lighter load I can use my Escalade to tow it.
I have an enclosed bumper pull car hauler. I found mine on Craig's list for less than half that. If you aren't in a hurry, as I wasn't, deals can be had if you look. It came with new tires and two spares, but I had to replace the brakes and drums. Not overly expensive at etrailer.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Only thing I found on the local classifieds was the 36 gooseneck and a few 12 and 14' single axle cargo trailers

·
Registered
17,610 Posts
Patience is the name of the game. I searched the ads at least once a week for several months before I found the one I wanted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You might be running into needing a CDL classA to start with. Then you might be into is your truck gross lic plate big enough to deal with it.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts