Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I swapped out the tires on the truck...but didnt have the time to get the front leveling spacers in. (35x12.50s on stock rims)

As it sits now (and after a 25mile drive) I can see/feel/hear no rubbing...even at max lock on both sides.

While I realize its close...is the leveling kit really required?

just how much of a jump do I have to go off of to get the tires to rub? :peelout

·
Registered
184 Posts
People say that you can run 35's without some lift some say you need it. I wouldnt know I have never done it.

If yours isnt rubbing and you like the look leave it as it is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is not required but it sure looks alot better. At least I think it does. I understand the tires are not rubbing right now, but they may if you decide to take it off-road. Check out my truck pics to see what I am talkng about.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it looks 10x better with the new tires vs the stockers...i just figured I wouldnt have to waste the time puttin the spacer in and getting a new alignment...*shrug still up in the air.

Doubt I'd do any serious offroading with the dodge...have the hummer for that.

Thanks for the input though!

added a shot of the new tires installed in the gallery.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
you dont need to re alignment it after putting the leveling kit in. i have 2.5inch leveling kit on mine, and i have driven around 4K since putting them in... rides perfect...
*knock on wood*

·
f7u12
2,295 Posts
Mine rubbed the first day I got it back from the dealer. Had the dealer install 2in leveling kit and Toyo AT's 325/70R17 on stock rims. The conversion equates to 34.9"x12.8. was told by the aftermarket sales rep that the leveling kit was supposed to keep the rubbing from occuring. Ha ha! If I didn't like the truck so much I'd be pi$$ed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its amazing how every truck seems to be different!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I run 35"s on my 03 no leveling kit it has a little rub at full lock

·
Registered
208 Posts
you dont need to re alignment it after putting the leveling kit in. i have 2.5inch leveling kit on mine, and i have driven around 4K since putting them in... rides perfect...
*knock on wood*
If you like your tires you will need to get it aligned. With the 2" kit mine was off pretty far - the tires will ware funny if you do not do it. well worth the $60 bucks.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Even if you dont do off roading the leveling kit isnt a bad idea say if you are backing up a decent incline and want to turn your wheels hard it may rub then or anytime that the truck is going to be sitting with the rear of the truck higher then the back and trying to back it will possibly cause rubbing... just my .02

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is no need to align the truck after the 2in kit is install. The leveling kit does not change anything that will cause tires to wear. However it may cause the steering wheel to become off center. You can correct htis by making an adjustment on the drag linkage that connects the steering gear to the knuckle. It is extremely simple. I have had mine on for 42,000 miles with the same set of tires and have never had it aligned.

·
Boiler up!
2,450 Posts
mine rubbed with 35's till i got a leveling kit. i like it fine. at least im sittin up higher!

·
Registered
151 Posts
There is no need to align the truck after the 2in kit is install. The leveling kit does not change anything that will cause tires to wear. However it may cause the steering wheel to become off center. You can correct htis by making an adjustment on the drag linkage that connects the steering gear to the knuckle. It is extremely simple. I have had mine on for 42,000 miles with the same set of tires and have never had it aligned.
:agree2::agree2:

Had mine on for 21k and the exact same thing! :thumbsup

·
Registered
707 Posts
I got mine aligned after installing the 2" level kit and the Toe was off a little. They gave me the printout to see for myself. No change in the way it drives though, just insurance that the tires don't wear prematurely.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
put mine on wednesday had a little rub at first but after a little hammer work no rubbing at all. leveling kit will be here next week

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got mine aligned after installing the 2" level kit and the Toe was off a little. They gave me the printout to see for myself. No change in the way it drives though, just insurance that the tires don't wear prematurely.

FYI: The leveling kit can not change your toe setting. Your toe was off before you installed the kit. It is good thing you checked it.:thumbsup

·
Registered
707 Posts
FYI: The leveling kit can not change your toe setting. Your toe was off before you installed the kit. It is good thing you checked it.:thumbsup
Well the truck had a grand total of 1k miles on it when I put the level kit on. So if you're right, then I guess it was out of wack from the factory. Why do they recommend an alignment after install if it doesn't change anything?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts