Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much or would i gain swapping my 03 341 turbo to the bigger 351 turbo.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Few degrees lower with egts and maybe a little butt in seat dyno difference. I done this before my 63/68 and I can say it was worth it for the difference.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im wonting a bigger turbo just dint know where to start on what size to get.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I would start on deciding what your goals are. Find what HP you won't to be at and decide weather or not you would ever won't more, and then you can go from there

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say 500 to 550 wheel but I'm not really wanting to upgrade the trans internals right now. Would like to keep a fairly quick spool for pulling and whatever else.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Im not a expert and hopefully someone else will chime in, but I'd say get a smarty, boost pyro gauges at least, a 62mm charger for a quick spool and that way you could you In a future twins setup if wonted or either do a stocker/s475 twins setup. And 50hp sticks and I would think your there

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My current mods are diablo predator / fass 150 / edge boost elbow / afe stage 2 intake / mbrp 4" turbo back / south bend dual disc. As far as gauges i have boost / egt / oil pressure / rail pressure / pump pressure.

Im planning to switch programmers to the smarty and add some 60 hp injectors. Who makes the best 62mm turbo on the market.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well of you plan on 60s that good also. I've seen guys on here that hit 500 on stock sticks and turbo if not mistaken. Twins will definitively be better all around than a single but for your needs I'd think your okay. I had chris at engineered diesel build me a 63/68 and I feel as if its not that much different than stock spool. I'd call him and tell him your goal he can build something for your needs and pocket.

·
Hide your cats!
5,100 Posts
Well of you plan on 60s that good also. I've seen guys on here that hit 500 on stock sticks and turbo if not mistaken. Twins will definitively be better all around than a single but for your needs I'd think your okay. I had chris at engineered diesel build me a 63/68 and I feel as if its not that much different than stock spool. I'd call him and tell him your goal he can build something for your needs and pocket.

I'm one of those guys hit 517 the other day stock turbo and sticks with what's in sig

·
Registered
547 Posts
I would get the 351 to save some coin, then upgrade to the ATS Aurora 5K plus twins. Also, with 60s and a Smarty you will hit 550 easy. I have II 60s and I put 588 down.
Wow did you have the 351? If that's the case I'm at Almost 600hp I'd guess? And for sure more after my mild pump from Todd.

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
Sorry, I fat fingered that. I put 558 down. Also, I should have clarrified more. I was runnning the ATS 2K/5K twins, but the 2K flows alittle less than the 351 and the 5K in that twin setup is the exact same a/r as the 5K plus setup and the 5K spools well with 60s.

Yes, 100s should put you over 600. I think and I may be wrong, but 100s should be flirting with mid 600s with proper tuning.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yeah I was thinking the same hopefully after my mild pump I can take a 3hr drive to doghouse diesel and see if rich will dyno it for me, maybe next year throw a s4?? Under my 63 with some other stuff. But back to the OP how much do you tow, that will be big decision maker in weather you go twins or single.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I mostly tow my rZr on a 16' trailer. The heaviest I've pulled is a little over 18000.

Around about what kind of power would i be around with the 351/ smarty/ 60hp injectors/ and the rest of my mods besides the predator.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also what kind of boost do i/ can the 351 push amd what other mods do i need i.e. head studs / intercooler

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you tow 18000 regularly I'd deff. Say twins if you only tow that once a year or so you can probly get away with a single. I tow a 5x10 trailer my brute force 750 and burning equipment about everyday with no problems and I have 100hp injectors. If you do only the he351 upgrade it will push 40psi and back down to about 37psi. Although I would put a adjustable boost elbow and tune it to 35psi so its not maxed out at all times. You can run 40-42,43 psi everyday without studs I have mine set at 42. Hek there are people here running 50 pounds without them but id say thats running on borrowed time.if yours is a 03 your intercooler is fine by all means for 6-700 horse i know, I think the 05 and up were the ones with weaker coolers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea i hardly ever pull anything heavy. I bought the truck as a daily driver about 2 months ago but i have the modification ocd syndrome and cant leave nothing alone.

So a 351 will bolt right up and need thing else to run it. Oil lines and everything are the same.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yup bolts right up. Only modification needed is either
1.cut the hose between electronic waste gate and solenoid, and stick a bolt in each end And put hose clamps on them. If you do this you only have to zip tie the electronic waste gate plug to something to keep it out the way.
2. Buy a plug and adjustable boost elbow from diesel auto power for like 90 bucks

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
I wound not waste the money on the adjustable elbow. I would just plug the line. With 60s, I ran my 351 at around 40 psi with no problems.

With 60s and Smarty Revo, I can't find my dyno sheets, but I think it was around 490. I could have ran TNT and obtained more, but I wanted useable towing power without EGT concern.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.