Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've seen conflicting stories so I wanted to know from anyone with experience. I have the electronic 4 switch 4wd...Im having to replace my ball joints and front wheel bearings. Nearly lost a wheel going down the freeway..lol

My Question: Do I have to put the truck in 4wd to remove the front axle shafts? Or is it ok to leave it in 2wd?

Ive heard some say put it in 4wd because if you dont the shift fork will fall and it's difficult to get the axle shaft back in...some say you dont have to.
Just wondered if anyone's done it with the electronic 4wd system before I start taking everything apart.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
There's no disconnect or "shift fork" in the front axle. I removed my axles shafts to do u joints no problem. Pull em out pop em back in. On an 07, same as 06.

Reactions: roadking0678

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's no disconnect or "shift fork" in the front axle. I removed my axles shafts to do u joints no problem. Pull em out pop em back in. On an 07, same as 06.
Ok that's what I thought because it engages in the transfer case not the axle...just wanted to make sure and not make things harder than they already are on myself..lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just did mine last weekend and have the same 4x4 switch. Just pulled them out, replaced, and slide back in.

Reactions: roadking0678
1 - 5 of 5 Posts