Cummins Diesel Forum banner

35" Spare in Factory Location.... HOW??

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Readyman 
#1 ·
How the hell do you fit a 35x12.5 spare tire in the stock location??? I heard that its very easy to do, so when I bought my 35s this morning, I opted for a full size spare. It won't fit. There's only 34" of clearance between the track bar and the receiver hitch. How is everyone doing it?? The heat shield is an easily fixable issue, it's the track bar! What am I missing??

I have a 19 that is all stock, except for the 35s.

#2 ·
Lift the axle side of the tire over the trackbar and bring it up at an angle. As you start pulling it up between frame rails ensure uou push any wiring harness out of the way to avoid it getting pinched.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Every manufacturer varies a bit, some are more true to size than others. The spare i have is about half worn, i know that helps, but it fit (very tightly) new as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#6 ·
How about a pic of your truck, and tire brand? Did you lift or level it?

#8 ·
No pic at the moment, but it's a 2019 mega 2500. No suspension mods right now. Tires are Cooper ST Maxx (34.6"). But the spare is a Landsail MT (also 34.6"). It is the same height as the Coopers. It's not just a small clearance issue, it's about 2". But so many people said that a full 35" spare would fit. It's not even close!

#11 ·
I may look for a used 35x12.5. Also, some of the guys I had talked to had 2010-2013 models, and they are still leaf sprung out back. I think it would fit just fine with leaf springs.

#12 ·
I just bought 295/70 r18 Toyo Open Country AT2s, 34.3". Tire shop said they weren't able to fit the tire up there in the spare compartment. I think they just didn't want to fit it for liability reasons so I'm going to give it a try from home. I have a ccsb 2500 hemi, dont shoot me Cummins folks:)

There seems to be plenty of room near the exhaust heat shield and toward the front of the tire, but the left side and hitch look like it'll be a struggle. If I do have to push the tire ever so slightly off center, do you guys think it will cause any issues with the spare mount? Consider I'm mostly highway but I do go offroad into nowhere from time to time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.