Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least for 20 miles or so. Loaded up the family and took 'em to Havasu for the weekend. The wind was really ripping through Cabazon and Palm Springs on the I-10 from San Diego to AZ. With the 50mph tail wind and the SnugTop shell acting like a big sail I just sat there in disbelief watching the overhead climb to 33.8mpg with the cruise set on 70mph.

Didn't stay there long, but with the new Toyos and the speedo uncorrected the overhead is finally accurate. Just gotta factor in the larger tire diameter when I hand calc. Got about 20mpg for the whole trip. Not normal, but nice anyway. My buddy's '06 5.9L gets that in town!

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Goatta love a good tail wind when you are trucking! My problem is always timing...seem to be heading into the wind all of the time!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I hit that 34 mark once too right after I put on the dpf delete I took er out on the interstate and had a nice tail wind and it climbed up there for a bit it was a nice site to see although I new it would not last.

·
Banned
722 Posts
If you reset your overhead and coast down a long hill. Within 20 seconds you will get 99.9 mpg. Thats such a nice feeling. I do it all the time with 22k pounds behind me.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
If you reset your overhead and coast down a long hill. Within 20 seconds you will get 99.9 mpg. Thats such a nice feeling. I do it all the time with 22k pounds behind me.
:rof:rof:rof Yeah that would be nice...

·
Registered
381 Posts
dummy - I see in your sig that you've got the dynatrac kit installed. how much improvment in MPGs did you see after installing it?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I-10 from San Diego to Phoenix?? Not sure the route you took but sounds like you went north to Riverside on I-15 first. Any reason why?

I do go that route if towing and am starting out 40-60 miles north of San Diego such as Escondido or Temecula area. This avoids the long grade just west of El Centro. Otherwise it's I-8 to Gila Bend then north to I-10.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I was going down a dead level strip of I-295 about 25 feet off the back of a semi with a box trailer with a crazy strong tailwind when a hurrican was coming in hauling some wood to board things up for the parents and it said I was getting 32.6

that is my all time best display on the lie-o-meter

·
Registered
48 Posts
? about breakin on a 6.7L

I may be getting a new truck soon, a 08 2500 6.7L. I pull about 7500-8000 lbs.

My question is: Do I need to wait before I pull my trailer? It seems like on my '04 they told me 500 miles.

Oops, I was trying to start a new thread, sorry.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
My overhead doesn't know how to go above 13:lol3:

·
Registered
325 Posts
ive seen 17 and i almost jumped out the truck........its never seen over 12.....

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Put a sail in the back. :w:

You probley get 50 mpg. :T:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I-10 from San Diego to Phoenix?? Not sure the route you took but sounds like you went north to Riverside on I-15 first. Any reason why?

I do go that route if towing and am starting out 40-60 miles north of San Diego such as Escondido or Temecula area. This avoids the long grade just west of El Centro. Otherwise it's I-8 to Gila Bend then north to I-10.
Huh? No - to Havasu. I-15 North to Hwy 79 to I-10. Peel off on Hwy 177 at Desert Center, then take Hwy 62 into Parker and on up to the lake. Fastest way for me.

Sorry, can't really comment on the Dynatrac or other stuff in my sig yet. Diesel Power Magazine series due to start up in a few months covering it all. This site has been a big help and will be mentioned, though. :thumbsup

·
Registered
105 Posts
I took my truck in and had the stealership re-calibrate my odometer and speedo after puttin' on my new tires. Think they said they could do it up to 35s. Ifn ya do this Dummy, ya won't have to worry about some of the cypherin' in yer noggin when you get yer MPGs. :beer

·
Registered
300 Posts
so far my overhead record is 162 mpg, reset at the top of the pass when the DPF is well cleaned, and the trailer giving enough push on the down side to keep it at 70 without using the ebrake or throttle.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I accidentally came to this thread, but I am surprised at these outrageous mpgs that you guys are getting. Tell me this is for real.. How are you guys managing to get this? I have seen other guys with DPF & EGR deletes getting up to 22mpg, but 38mpg?? Give me some tips.. I am curious... :lol3:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just so I understand - is the rimary way to clean the P-filter by driving 50 mph for a period of time to clean the filter?

Is this what is called a regeneration when the ECU dumps extra fuel through the engine and turbo to clean the filter?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts