Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 with an edge chip, cold air intake and 4" exhaust. I have a loss of power that feels like the truck is struggling for fuel. It seems to happen after warm up and after a good pull up a hill at constant rpms the truck will accelerate much slower than normal. I do not have a boost gauge so I am at a loss there. I am not a gearhead so I dont understand everything about the system. I have had it to the dealership , $2200 later they told me there was nothing wrong, well it did it on the way home. Another shop told me it was a fuel issue and ran it with their gauges and no problems came up. No codes, fuel pressure seems to be ok, it must be something in the turbo?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would have told the shop to stick the bill up their rear after it did it on the way home! Thats a lot of money to "give" them, I could of sone the same thing and charged you half that;)
DS79

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would highly doubt the turbo.. I would lean toward a VP$$. No real way to check a pure mechanical failure on a VP$$ except to elminate it.

Also look at fuel lift pump and make sure your Fuel pressure is not going under about 5psi when the symptom occurs.

Also a boost pressure sensor that has failed within range=meaning its not outside the parameters to log fault code. Need a scanner to check this and it may only be failed when your truck acts up. Hopefully this will help

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
$2,200 would have replaced the VP44. At $75/hr, that 30 hours. I don't see how you could possibly "work" on a truck that long and not do anything and not find anything. I'd not let that go. That is flat out criminal.

I would start looking at:

- Do you have any codes?
- Take the Edge box off to eliminate that as a possible issue. Might just be a bad connection.
- Make sure the fuel pressure is staying at or above 10 PSI all the time.
- Make sure the MAP sensor is functioning correctly. Might just replace it. If it gives a faulty reading, the ECM may be defueling the engine thinking it is reaching max boost. The MAP sensor will connect to the Edge box, so may be related.
- Doesn't sound like a VP44 failure. This kind of failure power loss or "dead pedal" would normally throw the 0216 code, but not always.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I work at a dealership and I had a truck come in with kind of the ssame problem.... had a loss of power intermitently..... no codes, fuel pressure was good, evrything checked out ok so I had the service writter contact the customer and tell em everything checked out fine no codes or nothin.... but i have a hunch that its the injection pump and if the customer wants i'll replace it?....... well the customer denied the work and 3 days later it came back with a no start issue and it was the vp-44...... so yeah

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
thats why the human body can make a fist! LOL, dude go back and go balistic! thats what I would do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts