Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I got a 2014 6.7 with 78k on the clock. Did a routine oil/ filter change every 5k miles today. Found out the oil was 3 quarts low… this was my first oil change since I purchased from a dealer so it is possible they filled it low but not likely. Is it normal for any oil to burn off in these motors? Thanks.

· Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
17,117 Posts
When did you purchase it?

3,134 Posts
Any motor can burn oil. More in the cold weather during startup. Oil change every 5k is not necessary. But that's your money.

How often do you check your oil?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any motor can burn oil. More in the cold weather during startup. Oil change every 5k is not necessary. But that's your money.

How often do you check your oil?
I’ve only had the truck for around 5.5-6k miles so I wanted to change it since I didn’t know if the dealer actually changed it like they said. Just ended up being 3 quarts lower when I went to put the old oil in the new oil containers.

· Red Rider
2022 RAM 5500 Tradesman Crew Cab & Chassis 4X4
17,117 Posts
About 7k miles ago, or 4 months ago.
So......no time within that four months or 7k miles was the oil ever checked?

Not busting your balls......but lightly busting your balls.

As @krs stated.....it’s not a bad idea to check it weekly. I check mine more often than weekly.....but I’m OCD.

3,134 Posts
So......no time within that four months or 7k miles was the oil ever checked?

Not busting your balls......but lightly busting your balls.

As @krs stated.....it’s not a bad idea to check it weekly. I check mine more often than weekly.....but I’m OCD.
With any vehicle I have owned i checked it lots and once I have an idea of general oil consumption I will lengthen my oil level check intervals. Sometimes I go as long as a few weeks. But after a long heavy day of towing I will check the following day.

I always check the oil engine cold on level ground. Gives me the most consistent readings.

· Registered
Horns Removed, Still identify as a RAM
11,155 Posts
Let me take a guess… you checked the oil immediately after turning off the truck?
Also, how did you know it was 3 quarts low? I wasn’t aware of a 3 quart low line.

· Registered
492 Posts
I always check my oil and visually inspect the coolant, brake fluid, battery terminals and washer fluid weekly. The transmission, power steering fluid and tire pressure monthly. I check my oil with the engine completely cold for an accurate reading.

Just to be safe, I would not drive your truck and let it sit for a few hours on level ground and let the engine cool down and preferably check the oil level when the engine is cold. You will get an accurate oil level reading. At that point add the proper oil if it is needed to bring the level in the Safe Level.

· Registered
Horns Removed, Still identify as a RAM
11,155 Posts
If you read he checked it by filling the bottles with the old oil after changing the oil
I must have zoomed right past that follow up post. And I don’t even have a mazda.

I am one who checks oil in all my vehicles weekly, and it seems like when I do an oil change, i never get out how much i put in..

Is it just me?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts