Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i bought this truck in april. the seller said he bought it from a housing contractor who had a utility body on it. i recently saw someone say that a chassis-cab dually axle is narrower than the normal dually axle... or the same width as an SRW axle i guess. well, the owner prior to myself mounted an 05 DRW bed and bumper.... its cool and all but the huge fender flares made the chassis-cab axle look stupid by having the tires WAY under the bed.

and, here it is with the spacers installed. it LOOKS better, but id REALLY like to swap out for a normal-width dually axle... *hint hint*

all in all, i was worried that the wheels wouldnt mount concentrically to the wheel spacers but they dont seem to be mis-aligned. the truck runs down the road just as good as it did before, except for the whole confidence factor improving. i FEEL better knowing my truck doesnt look odd and looks a bit tougher since the track width is a whole SIX INCHES wider than it was before! the only thing that worries me is the structural integrity of the materials/parts. when i was impacting the spacers to the axle, the supplied lug nuts seated just fine. however, when i installed the wheels (more difficult w/o the hub to fully support them), the original non-conical lug nuts seemed to keep turning as i impacted them all onto the studs mounted in the spacers. i dont know if im stretching the new studs or they werent fully seated in the spacers during assembly or if the studs are simply going to pull thru the spacer if i kept at it... idk. just gonna take a wait and see attitude and check the torque on them after some miles... but hey, it Looks cool :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Daaaaaang! I wish you weren't so far away. I actually toyed with the idea of cutting my axle down due to the width with my tires and spacer! :( Personally I would be a little nervous. I hope the studs in the spacer aren't spinning. My knee jerk reaction would be to say that a set of OE front spacers would be a better way to go, but the way a dually gets loaded up, I really have no idea what is and isn't safe. With the spacers like what I have, the inside wheel is not supported by the spacer.

But having said that, I guess the spacer is the same material as a forged aluminum wheel, and we don't worry about THEM breaking the center out! :)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, you mean the front hub extensions on the Rear??? man, thats a good idear, i never thought of that.

after i put these things on, i also wondered about putting the spacer between the duals instead of bolting both of them to the spacer. the only down side to that is that youd be able to see the spacer between the duals... all 3" of it.

i just wonder how itll look with 10-lug adapters and 22.5's; every dually ive seen running the 22.5's ends up with the tires sticking out past the fender flares. i wonder if my narrower axle will keep the 22.5's tucked under the flares?

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
The truck looks a heck of a lot better with the spacers, next on the list of things to do would be a new paint job and then some tow mirrors.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The truck looks a heck of a lot better with the spacers, next on the list of things to do would be a new paint job and then some tow mirrors.
thanks bud.... you must be reading my mind. im painting it black to match the new bed and bumper and im definitly gonna see about putting on some 3rd gen powered towing mirrors. then, the basic list of upgrades; exhaust, intake, KDP tab, gauges and oil/filter change (i just bought 26 gallons of Royal purple ;) )

·
Registered
240 Posts
what do you want to pay for the truck wanted in your sig. got a freind with one thinkin bout sellin it. 171k miles sweeeeetttt. rig let me know..pm

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh dang man... I might have to hold off cuz I'm in the middle of the house shopping. I gotta get a house with this 1st time home buyer tax credit. Maybe if I close on it in time and amend my 2009 taxes for it, ill have $8000 to play with. But I'd have to see it and nitpick it before I could make an offer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That´s a 3rdn Gen bed on a 2nd Gen Truck:shock:
I bet, that´s why they are inside the fenders, because the 3rd Gen bed is a few inches wider

·
I have a diesel problem..
2,299 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts