Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone in the Northern California area is interested in making a change to 3.73 gears let me know. I am looking for 4.10 gears. My truck is a 06 with 40K miles, never abuse.

Or if you know of gear vendors with good prices, please advice.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Curious as to why you are wanting to go to the 4.10's.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Cool...At one time I was thinkin about droppin from my 4.10s to the 3.73's for better fuel mileage, but think I am just gonna keep mine and save up for the over/under gears from gear vendors. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I may have a set of 4:10's for sale soon out of my 04drw.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i have 4 tens on my truck and went with 35's no it feels like i got 3 73, anyhow i had a machinist buddy of mine do some math and he told me that my new effective gear ratio was 3 63 even though they were 4 10 with the big tires. what do yall think? i know i hate that it has some lost low end power and i do have to keep my foot in it more now....

·
Registered
240 Posts
what i meant was, does it really change itup like that or is my buddy full of it?

·
Registered
371 Posts
yes, raising your tires size does effectively make your overall gear ratio smaller. not only are bigger tires heavier and harder to turn, but the cut down on the amount of force you are putting to the ground (torque being force X distance: constant torque going through a larger lever arm, ie: bigger tire, lessens the actual force on the road) you combat this by getting steeper gears. the tire and road act just like a rack and pinion so a bigger tire works like a shallower gear ratio

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'll let you know. I've got a set of 3:73's for the front on there way. Just need a set for the rear. Once i get them my 4:10's will be for sale. Just been trying to find a used set for the rear.

·
Registered
371 Posts
by the way its 4.10 not 4:10 short for 4.10:1. 4:10 would be a 2.5:1 and would be pretty high gearing

just a pet peeve of mine and thought i would pass on the info

1 - 12 of 12 Posts