Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pm me for more information. Thanks

$800 OBO, located in Oklahoma.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Classified ads require a price, just FYI. Might catch a nasty-gram from the mods.

However, for those of us who DD and don’t tow as much as the truck is intended to (me included), how did you program the speedo and odometer to read correctly with the 3.42s?

How much of a difference does it make in driving? Did ya add a metric poo-ton more power or just deal with it being sluggish? Any effect on the trans being able to hold the torque since it’s ramping up into load faster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Classified ads require a price, just FYI. Might catch a nasty-gram from the mods.

However, for those of us who DD and don’t tow as much as the truck is intended to (me included), how did you program the speedo and odometer to read correctly with the 3.42s?

How much of a difference does it make in driving? Did ya add a metric poo-ton more power or just deal with it being sluggish? Any effect on the trans being able to hold the torque since it’s ramping up into load faster?

Thanks for letting me know. As for the speedo, all of the trucks just have a VSS (speed sensor) on the rear differential. It just measures the speed of the axle itself, so changing the gears doesn’t require any programming. I bought the set to swap from 3.73s since I have an early model G56, to get a better cruising rpm, but now I am installing a gear splitter instead. In my opinion 3.42s would work exceptionally well with manual trans, since their ratios are almost always higher numerically (auto ~.69, manual ~.74), and these engines have plenty of low end torque… Hopefully that makes sense it’s tricky to explain and I’m sure I’m not doing the best!

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
For sure. Definitely makes more sense for manual trucks. Granny gear might be occasionally useful then. Used to joke my 06 G56 truck was a 4-speed with a granny gear and an overdrive. Heck, I only used 2nd to start when we went up north where there’s hills... most of the time around here (south Louisiana) it was 3rd, 5th, 6th for normal roads or just stick it in 4th for the few 25-35mph roads. Even with 19.5” wheels and 35” tires it would idle at about 12mph in 3rd gear.

Thanks for the info about the speed sensor. Shows ya how many times we can be under and in these things and still not know basics. I thought our trucks were like the GMs I grew up wrenching on, with the speed sensor on the trans output shaft.

Reactions: DriveEverything

·
Registered
92 d350 xcab flatbed 5spd. 04 2500 QCSB 4x4 built auto. All over 500k mi
626 Posts
I know it's kinda apples to oranges, but my 1stGen with 3.07s and a 5spd did quite well towing moderate (mid teens gross) loads. I'm sure a common rail would do just fine with 3.42s. It's 3.5% lower than 3.54.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts