Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into getting a lift for my 07 6.7 mega cab dually. Looking into the carli with a 3” but I’m already leveled and run 35’s not sure if the 3” is going to make it look much Different? Also as a pipeline welder my truck spends more time off road on a row and rough back roads then it does on a main highway so the upgraded ride is much needed and more clearance on my welding bed is needed. Other than wondering if a 3” will make it look much different I’m also wondering if I’d need to jump up to 37’s on the tire to make it look right? Any help is appreciated in advance

·
Clayton @ Dude's Diesel Performance
3,471 Posts
Looking into getting a lift for my 07 6.7 mega cab dually. Looking into the carli with a 3” but I’m already leveled and run 35’s not sure if the 3” is going to make it look much Different? Also as a pipeline welder my truck spends more time off road on a row and rough back roads then it does on a main highway so the upgraded ride is much needed and more clearance on my welding bed is needed. Other than wondering if a 3” will make it look much different I’m also wondering if I’d need to jump up to 37’s on the tire to make it look right? Any help is appreciated in advance
Hey bud, glad to see you are already looking into the carli systems. Don't forget thuren is a major player as well and you can also get a 6 inch system from them if interested.

If you have the 3 inch in the front you can still get the 3 inch springs for the front, shackles that will slightly lift the truck in the rear or get the full leafs which will slightly lift it as well in the rear.

Most people get 37's to fill out the fender wells but the 35's are just fine also. The ride quality you will get from these kits will be amazing compared to what you are used too. I used to run those lease roads and i can promise you, it will be much more enjoyable with a quality kit such as Carli or Thuren.

I'll shoot you a message as well.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just did thuren's 3 inch kit on my 2500 and it took a total of 5.5 hours with hand tools (my air compressor was broken) and manual jacks and stands in my drive way. I say give thuren a go and see how you like their stuff. I will post a pic of the truck later. I did 3 inch coils in the front and the 2 inch shackles in the back. Also remember that if you do go to a 6 inch there is a lot of stuff that requires replacement

·
Registered
900 Posts
if you go to a 6" I'd recommend going to 37's or 38's for the right visual proportions. Here's my truck on a 3" Carli Dominator system with 305/70/17 tires (a 34ish" tire) and then 37/125/20 tires. Both look good, but a 37 definitely looks better! Keep in mind though that you need to have the perfect wheel specs to stuff a 37 without major rubbing, and you'll also need high clearance control arms. A 35 will fit on stock arms no problem.

CMH2007 is right that the 6" kits do cost more as they have more components, but with ether Thuren or Carli, the 6" kits provide more wheel travel than the 3." On these kits, the height is actually just a byproduct of travel increase since the only way to increase travel on a solid axle truck is to increase the distance between the axle and frame. Hope that helps!

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 by Andrew Villablanca, on Flickr

2006 Ram 2500 by Andrew Villablanca, on Flickr

·
Registered
795 Posts
Just to clear, a 6" truck will NOT have more travel than a 3" truck. You will need a bump spacer, which will in turn, leave it at the same travel as a 3" truck. Good lookin truck, by the way! ^^^

·
Registered
900 Posts
Just to clear, a 6" truck will NOT have more travel than a 3" truck. You will need a bump spacer, which will in turn, leave it at the same travel as a 3" truck. Good lookin truck, by the way! ^^^
The 6" carli systems do in fact increase travel over the 3" systems. The 6" has a 60% travel increase over stock, while the 3" systems have a 50% increase in travel over stock. Even though the 6" kits have bump drops, travel is stil added over both stock and the 3" system.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The 6" carli systems do in fact increase travel over the 3" systems. The 6" has a 60% travel increase over stock, while the 3" systems have a 50% increase in travel over stock. Even though the 6" kits have bump drops, travel is stil added over both stock and the 3" system.

Okay, 10% is more, but just didn't want peeps thinking they're getting another 3". And peeps do think that. :wink2:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Okay, 10% is more, but just didn't want peeps thinking they're getting another 3". And peeps do think that. :wink2:
Hey as us lifted diesel truck owners know, every fraction of an inch counts!! :hehe:

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
6” on 35’s here, I am on a 12” wide wheel though. I stayed with 35’s to not throw off gearing as much as I tow almost every weekend in the summer

·
Supporting Vendors
9,575 Posts
A couple of questions:

1. How much weight is in your truck at all times?
2. How fast do you want to drive off road?

6" vs 3" on a work truck is something that I like talking on the phone or in person about, so I can actually get a feel what the customer wants out of the truck. A 6" work truck can be a pain sometimes. I've had customers pay me to switch their 6" to a 3" after a short time of working out of the truck. Give me a call and we can go over the details.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts